Spell-learning reminder

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 18:27

Spell-learning reminder

This has bothered me for a while, but for some reason I never bothered to report it... ;)

When you gain a level, and you have Spellcasting skill, you typically gain a few spell slots. However, there is nothing in place to notify the player of this fact, so new players might not realize that they have spell slots available! So, why not add some sort of message, similar to that used in Angband, when you level up, informing you of the fact that you can learn new spells?
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:46

Re: Spell-learning reminder

This can get spammy soon. Two options:

1) Print a message in hint mode.
2) Message in normal mode but only if the player has a chance to learn a spell and did not yet do so.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 21:50

What if there were something like the shopping list interface for spells?

Add an option to spell descriptions to (L) Memorize Later. Then, when you get enough spell slots to memorize the spell, give the player a message, "You can now learn Deflect Missles from the Book of Enchantments on L2 with Very Poor casting success."

Pressing M to memorize would show spells on the memorize later list in addition to spells in inventory, and choosing one would auto-travel to the right spell book.

Perhaps when choosing to memorize a spell later, you can choose which conditions need to be met to get the message, including spell slots, casting success, and spell hunger.

Once fuzzing is in, it might be nice for spells that are already memorized to get messages like, "Statue Form is can now be cast with no hunger" or "Blink can now be cast with Excellent success." Getting way OT here, but maybe "You now attack at above average speed with your war axe" would be nice, too, instead of "You have reached level 16 in Axes/Spellcasting/Translocations."

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 22:27

I am afraid this leads to a lot work for rather little gain. (In other words, I consider other interface proposals more important/interesting.)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 22:57

ekolis wrote:When you gain a level, and you have Spellcasting skill, you typically gain a few spell slots.

You gain exactly one. And when you gain a spellcasting level, you used to get 2 levels, but now you get just one, since you got the other when you reach (n-1).5. And this one definitely deserves a message. However, I don't think it's worth spamming players with redundant messages when they level up or gain a spellcasting skill level.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 07:16

I think the Hints mode reminder would be a good feature. =)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Return to Technical Support