Request for help getting old versions to compile on Mint 19

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2019, 22:57

Request for help getting old versions to compile on Mint 19

Following up on this thread: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26353

I figured it would be fairly easy to get older versions to compile using update-alternatives to work with older versions of g++, but I was unsuccessful. I figure there must be a handful of other prereqs that need to be replaced with older versions to get things working, but I don't know where to start. Can I request help from someone a bit more technically minded than I am? I'd like to get every version from .14 onward running on my machine.

Help would be much appreciated.

TLDR addendum to this post:
Rather than shake my tiny fist at the heavens when devs remove a feature I liked, I decided some time ago to just treat each version of DCSS as a different, if similar, game. I've found it fun to play all the various versions, sometimes back to back. This may be quixotic but hey, if I was a normal gamer, I'd just get a PS4.

And in response to "Why not play online?" I've just always preferred the local version to webtiles.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 24th September 2019, 23:21

Re: Request for help getting old versions to compile on Mint

As I understand it, the problem is you have gcc 6 installed as gcc-6 and some newer version installed as gcc, and you want to compile crawl with gcc-6.

I don't think crawl's makefile has an option to choose the c++ compiler name. So you have a few options:
1. Compile in a docker environment with the older compiler. I'd recommend this approach. It looks like the gcc docker hub images are based on debian, so you should end up with a crawl binary that works on your system (especially if you use the included dependencies rather than system versions). https://hub.docker.com/_/gcc
2. Uninstall gcc and symlink gcc-6 to gcc
3. Compile in a chroot with the older compiler

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 25th September 2019, 12:16

I usually do my weird builds in a docker container too, but for just setting the gcc version you should be able to do:

Code:
export GCC_VER=6

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th September 2019, 04:18

chequers wrote:As I understand it, the problem is you have gcc 6 installed as gcc-6 and some newer version installed as gcc, and you want to compile crawl with gcc-6.
I don't think crawl's makefile has an option to choose the c++ compiler name. So you have a few options:

Or add "FORCE_CXX=/usr/bin/gcc" or whatever the path is to the arguments to 'make'. Yes, I do this, it's not just something I expect should work.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks:
chequers

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 30th September 2019, 02:22

Thank you all for your help. Based on what I've read here, it looks like I should learn about Docker.

Today I tried Damerell's and Advil's advice. Damerell's suggestions still lead to errors (but different errors from what I was getting before--I wish I understood enough of what was being spit out to understand what was going on), but Advil's suggestion of "export GCC_VER=6" allowed me to get .17 to compile earlier today. Hooray!

Return to Technical Support