Crawl crashes when I modify mini_monsters.des

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th December 2018, 19:14

Crawl crashes when I modify mini_monsters.des

Any time I make the slightest change to dat/des/variable/mini_monsters.des in local Crawl, it causes Crawl to crash, and I have no idea why. I can literally open the file, save it without making any changes, and that's enough to make the game crash. I can edit other .des files without any problems, but mini_monsters is problematic for some reason. Can someone explain what the issue is?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th December 2018, 19:20

Re: Crawl crashes when I modify mini_monsters.des

Try submitting a bug report on mantis:

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

Devs are usually interested in fixing things that cause crashes.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th December 2018, 20:52

What text editor are you using to edit it? Is it possible that you're accidentally saving it with the wrong encoding? For example, if you save it in UTF-16 it will crash.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 28th December 2018, 22:37

Thanks, it looks like that was the problem. Notepad was specifically trying to save mini_monsters as UTF-8, while it saved everything else as ANSI. That fixed it in local 0.22.1, though I have an old, modified version of 0.13.2 (my attempt at a branch long ago) that still crashes when mini_monsters is modified, even if I make sure the encoding isn't changed. I'm not really expecting tech support for that one, though.

Return to Technical Support