Summoned monsters branding

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 11:59

Summoned monsters branding

Hello!
The options guide under section 4-d claims that it's possible to brand summoned monsters:
"Branding refers to displaying particular monsters (e.g. summons) or items in a special way;"
but doesn't actually show any command to let me do so.
Am I misunderstanding something? >:O

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 13:01

Re: Summoned monsters branding

branding normally refers to the type of a weapon - flame/pain/poison/distortion etc. Not heard of it being used on monsters.

The monsters do form groups - J for jellies 1,2,3,4 and 5 for demons. I think there are also colours (i play tiles so I am less sure here) - for a blue draconian the letter may be blue - this may be what it is refering to ,as it may indicate particular common characteristics.
A troll caster is a hybrid

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 14:42

The options are just below (friend_brand, neutral_brand,...). By default, friendly monsters' glyph is drawn on a green background. If you'd rather have a blinking letter for example, use:
friend_brand = blink
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 19:12

galehar wrote:The options are just below (friend_brand, neutral_brand,...). By default, friendly monsters' glyph is drawn on a green background. If you'd rather have a blinking letter for example, use:
friend_brand = blink

Sure, but there are only commands for friendly and neutral monsters, but not for summons >:O
Or does it mean "monsters you yourself have summoned and thus fall into the "friendly" category" when it says that?
Because I kind of thought it meant "brand hostile summoned monsters in a special way so you can tell whether it's summoned or not without having to xv it every time" :O

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 00:47

An option for branding hostile summons would be pretty nice.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 08:22

OK, adding a summon_brand option is easy. Should we give it a default value?

edit: sorry, might not be as simple as I thought. There doesn't seem to be enough room in COLFLAG to add brands, so it would need some refactoring. I might be wrong on that, I just don't know much about curses.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Technical Support