Periodic freezing on my PC - Crawl Online

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 12th May 2018, 10:12

Periodic freezing on my PC - Crawl Online

I have a problem with Dungon Crawl Online.

On my laptop, the game runs fine. On my desktop PC the game runs smoothly for about 15 seconds or so, then it freezes for 5 seconds, then runs fine again for about 15 seconds, then freezes for 5 seconds, and so on.

Both my laptop and my PC have the same Internet connection, 44 Mbps download speed and 23 Mbps upload speed, my PC is powerful enough to run modern games on high resolution, all of my software is fully updated.
The problem persists no matter which browser I use, no matter which version of the game I try to play, no matter which server I choose.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be causing the problem?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th May 2018, 00:31

Re: Periodic freezing on my PC - Crawl Online

Some guesses:
1. A (badly configured) firewall of some sort, (either on your PC or between your PC and the network) the stop/start/stop pattern sounds like perhaps buffering and traffic analysis to me (Although one that would slow down the connection to DCSS is pretty awful)
2. The type of internet connection, average speeds are fine and dandy, but if you've got some weird (non standard) sort of 'bursty' connection (mobile devices frequently are set up this way) it might be peridoically resetting your connection in a buffer-ish type of way.
3. Some sort of virus or malware (or just any just plain old badly coded software) that is co-opting your network connection for (possibly illicit) traffic connection analysis or buffering it for other weird reasons, it could also be a badly coded network driver (although that does get into the territory of 2 above)

There are definitely other things that could cause this behavior beyond the network layer, but that's the low-hanging fruit in terms of what to check for.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Technical Support