Problems running Crawl in 4K mode - distorted fonts

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 12th May 2018, 03:38

Problems running Crawl in 4K mode - distorted fonts

I'm having a problem with running Crawl 0.21.1 in 4K mode. I've adjusted my fonts to size 28, and set them to Ubuntu Regular in my init.txt file, but when I set the fonts, the game ends up with distortions in the fonts,
and missing text, in the start menu, as seen here --

Crawl is basically unplayable for me right now, because of this problem. I've had this problem since about .20.0, where the options in the init.txt or .crawlrc files didn't seem to work properly. I also posted a message about a year ago about this very same problem, but never got any responses.

How do I set fonts properly without having to deal with distorted fonts and missing text? (Also, I'm running Linux, Kubuntu 18.04.)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 12th May 2018, 22:33

Re: Problems running Crawl in 4K mode - distorted fonts

I'm not immediately sure what's going on, but I downloaded that font and I get distorted fonts with a similar pattern when using UbuntuMono-R.ttf regardless of font size, and not on a 4k display. (Though I am testing on a hi-dpi display at the moment, I'll have to check if it's hi-dpi specific later.) So the problem seems to be that font; for now I'd recommend using the built-in font (Vera sans mono), which does work without distortion and should be fine at high font sizes on a 4k display as far as I know.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 12th May 2018, 22:44

Also, for future reference, it's relatively easy for devs to miss bug reports in this forum, so if you don't get a response here, you should probably try posting it on the bug tracker. Your tavern login will work to log in there as well.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
Crotalidae75

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 13th May 2018, 00:24

advil wrote:I'm not immediately sure what's going on, but I downloaded that font and I get distorted fonts with a similar pattern when using UbuntuMono-R.ttf regardless of font size, and not on a 4k display. (Though I am testing on a hi-dpi display at the moment, I'll have to check if it's hi-dpi specific later.) So the problem seems to be that font; for now I'd recommend using the built-in font (Vera sans mono), which does work without distortion and should be fine at high font sizes on a 4k display as far as I know.

Ah, yeah, that was the problem. The Ubuntu font seems to be at fault. I switched to DejaVuSansMono.ttf and it works fine now.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th May 2018, 14:42

Crotalidae75 wrote:I switched to DejaVuSansMono.ttf and it works fine now.

Er sorry yeah, I meant that, not Vera (which is an ancestor of deja vu).

Return to Technical Support