What do I put into my rcfile to force more upon...

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 8th February 2018, 18:06

What do I put into my rcfile to force more upon...

...sighting certain monsters for the first time?

I want to make sure that I can react immediately to the presence of a malmutator - mainly cacodemons, shining eyes and neqoxecs, though it'd probably also be a good idea to do this for orbs of fire. I'm guessing that the following entries would help:

Code:
force_more_message += cacodemon comes into view.
force_more_message += neqoxec comes into view.
force_more_message += orb of fire comes into view.
force_more_message += shining eye comes into view.
force_more_message += changes into a cacodemon!
force_more_message += changes into an orb of fire!
force_more_message += changes into a neqoxec!
force_more_message += changes into a shining eye!

(At least I think those are the messages to watch out for. If they're inaccurate, then adjust accordingly. Stuff may not actually be able to transform into an orb of fire, but that's OK, no harm in having it in the file regardless.)

But that doesn't cover all cases. Sometimes, I might get a message such as "Two cacodemons, a storm dragon zombie and a rust devil come into view." The above entries wouldn't force_more in that case and I'd be subject to a potential malmutation before I can react. I'm guessing some sort of regex would potentially be able to cover that case, but I'm unsure of the syntax. Furthermore, none of that does anything to address a summoner popping a neqoxec into existence, I think...

If someone has a set of entries (or can think of a set of entries) that would ensure that in all cases (wherever possible), I'm immediately given a force_more prompt whenever I first see one of these monsters, could you kindly share them?

In addition, would regex expressions work like this:

Code:
force_more_message += [shining eye|cacodemon|neqoxec|orb of fire] comes into view.

? (Just to make it more elegant, you know.) Or is that not a proper syntax either?

Thank you in advance!
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 23:31

Re: What do I put into my rcfile to force more upon...

Malevolent wrote:If someone has a set of entries (or can think of a set of entries) that would ensure that in all cases (wherever possible), I'm immediately given a force_more prompt whenever I first see one of these monsters, could you kindly share them?

Something like this should work, if you add a monster entry for every malmutator; possibly with an additional entry to fire on the malmutate itself in case your rcfile becomes outdated against future trunk monster additions:

Code:
more := force_more_message

more += Mnoleg.*(comes? into view|opens the)

more += twists and deforms

I'd recommend checking the files comprising HilariousDeathArtist's rcfile for extensive examples of Crawl rcfile regex usage.

There is also options_guide.txt for basic rcfile options help, although from the sound of your post you may already have looked at that.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks:
Malevolent

Return to Technical Support