Hellcrawl on Linux?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 02:04

Hellcrawl on Linux?

This is kind of embarassing, but I'm a very new linux user, and I do the majority of my crawl playing online, so I don't really have any clue on where to start on installing hellcrawl. I would normally also play it online, but the only servers are in america or australia which lead to massvie lag for me. I've looked on the github page https://github.com/Hellmonk/hellcrawl, but there's not really any apparent instructions.

I can grab the tar.gz file from here https://github.com/Hellmonk/hellcrawl/releases but, like I said, I'm very,very new to Linux and have no idea how anything works at the moment.
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 17:17

Re: Hellcrawl on Linux?

You can use the installation instructions for "regular" Crawl, which can be found here. Since you've already downloaded the archive with the source code, you're mainly interested in "Building on Unix (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, etc.)" subsection. I've just checked, and Hellcrawl builds mostly fine on my computer (I'm running Debian Testing), with one error:
  Code:
    GEN build.h
No Git, and util/release_ver doesn't exist.
Makefile:1337: recipe for target 'build.h' failed
make: *** [build.h] Error 2
It can be fixed by running something like
  Code:
echo 1.0 > util/release_ver
in the source directory prior to running the "make" command.

For this message the author Wark has received thanks:
Vajrapani

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 18th June 2017, 19:44

Re: Hellcrawl on Linux?

Oh, okay. I thought something different had to be done, but the 'normal' crawl instructions can be followed. Thanks.
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Return to Technical Support