0.20 Tournament: upper/lower case letter [solved]

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 29th May 2017, 17:08

0.20 Tournament: upper/lower case letter [solved]

In the 0.20 tourney I started with my usual nickname Turgon, always written with upper case letter 'T'.

I'm surprised that the scoring tables use a lower case letter 't', mistakenly writing turgon

http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.20/pl ... urgon.html
http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.20/clans/turgon.html

I never used my nickname starting with lower case letter!

So what has happened? I wonder if this could have influence on the overall statistics, which is shown here:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/turgon.html

Note that there are already similar existing problems: 'Bart' and 'bart' as well as '4thArraOfDagon' and '4tharraofdagon' which can be found in the following list:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/combo-scoreboard.html

I kindly ask the tournament organizers to show my scorings always as "Turgon" with capital letter. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Turukano on Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th May 2017, 18:25

Re: 0.20 Tournament: upper/lower case letter

Crawl usernames are case-preserving but not case sensitive -- for instance, you can log in with whatever capitalization you want. It does appear that the case-preserving in the tournament scripts is behaving oddly (& not consistently), but this is harmless and won't affect anything.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 29th May 2017, 19:50

advil wrote:It does appear that the case-preserving in the tournament scripts is behaving oddly (& not consistently), but this is harmless and won't affect anything.

I agree that it probably won't affect the tourney scores. But I suppose it will affect the all time highscores.

Did you check the combo highscores I mentioned above? Look e.g. at the number of combo highscores for 'Bart' (20) and 'bart' (9).

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/combo-scoreboard.html

Instead, 'Bart' should have 29 combo highscores.

So, if 'turgon' should get a combo highscore during the tourney, it will probably be shown for another, "new" user in the all time highscores.

1. Actually, 'Turgon' holds x combo highscores, the "new" tourney player 'turgon' holds 0 combo highscores.
  2. Now imagine tourney player 'turgon' gets a new combo highscore.
  3. Then 'Turgon' keeps his x combo highscores and 'turgon' will get 1 combo highscore. (Instead, Turgon should have x+1 combo highscores.)
So, should I get a new combo highscore during the tourney it probably won't count for Turgon's all time highscores.

Do you see my problem?
Is it possible to change this?
Is it maybe a problem with the script for the combo highscores?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th May 2017, 20:10

Ok, take a deep breath :) Crawl usernames are case-preserving but not case-sensitive. This means that it doesn't really matter which casing you use. It is not the case that for any dcss purposes `turgon` and `Turgon` will be counted differently as long as your user account on the server you are playing on has the correct capitalization. (And modulo a bug I discuss below even that isn't supposed to matter.) Also, I'm told that once you play a game in the tournament, and give it some time to update (which may take a few days), the capitalization on the tournament pages will be fixed.

The bart/4tharraofdagon case you've noticed is something entirely different -- those players have accounts (on different servers) under both capitalizations. So for some purposes, the CAO scripts aren't doing case sensitivity correctly, and separate them out as different players, but this is unrelated to the tournament (and is just a display bug). This will only happen to you if you make an account on a server with a different capitalization, and isn't really significant. You'll notice that their combo hi scores are properly joined on their CAO player page. The CAO scripts are gradually being phased out and will be replaced with the (we hope) less buggy new scoring page, which doesn't have this issue (though it is still missing some features).

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 29th May 2017, 21:10

advil wrote:The bart/4tharraofdagon case you've noticed is something entirely different -- those players have accounts (on different servers) under both capitalizations.

Oh, I didn't know this.

Thanks for your answer.

Return to Technical Support