Trouble running game in OS X

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 20:48

Trouble running game in OS X

Hi. So, I'm unable to get v 0.19 (Console type) running on my Mac (OS X 10.6.8). I downloaded the .zip file from the official page, but when I try to run the app it just opens a blank Terminal window, then does nothing. The Terminal window is blank with a centered, gray, non-blinking cursor. Trying to type commands into it doesn't do anything, as in no characters appear in the window and the cursor doesn't move (not that I would know what to type...). I've tried installing a couple older versions of the game as well (don't recall which ones, I'm afraid, but they were both Console), but got exactly the same result.

Is this enough info for anybody to recognize what might be the problem? I'm not sure what I can do to fix this, and it's breakin' my little heart that I can't play.
Thanks in advance to anybody who's willing to chime in.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 20:53

Re: Trouble running game in OS X

Someone will surely know better, but I'm afraid you'll have to upgrade your OS. At least this was the situation a couple of versions ago, I had to upgrade from 10.6.8 (to the latest version then) to get the game to work (I play tiles though).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 21:22

Thanks, Sprucery. I've encountered a few posts where people were unable to play Tiles on 10.6.8, but hadn't seen any mention of having the same problem with Console. Then again, the compatibility problem may apply to either version, and it's just that more people play Tiles. I'm really hoping upgrading my OS isn't the only solution (since I've got an old-timey machine that won't run anything newer than Snow Leopard), but I may be out of luck.

I had some success running a DOS version of Crawl in Boxer (an emulator), but abandoned that bc of frequent crashes. Also tried playing online: I can watch other people's games w/out any trouble, but can't register my own account (browser refuses to run the associated javascript). This may ultimately be another OS issue, but I'll attempt it with a different browser to see what happens.

I'm really hoping somebody can recommend an older version of the game that will function on 10.6.8, but don't want to get my hopes up.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 20th January 2017, 23:10

Version 0.15 should work on OS X 10.6.8, that's the last one I know.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 16:25

Hey, thanks for your help! Version 0.15 is working perfectly for me. I've also been able to play the current version online, but it's really nice to have the offline option as well.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 22nd January 2017, 22:24

Yes, I've been told by the person who does our OS X builds that they should support versions going back to 10.7, but you only have 10.6.8. So I think you're out of luck for 0.19 and future versions. You could try version more recent than 0.15; I'm not sure if 0.16 or 0.17 will work, but I doubt 0.18 will.

Return to Technical Support