Unreliability of akrasiac

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th January 2017, 02:21

Unreliability of akrasiac

So, I recently made the shift to playing Crawl online, and hopped on the akrasiac server, only to find that it very frequently is unavailable and holds my character-in-progress hostage. I've got an OgWz I've been itching to get back to, and all day I've been timed out trying to connect, and this is certainly not the first time this has happened to me. I don't know if this is common knowledge, or what's going on, if this is scheduled maintenance or whatever (apologies if such has been posted somewhere.) I've noticed berotato is still up, is this something common to all the servers, or are some more reliable than others? Should I be using a different server? Thanks very much for any responses.

(Not trying to complain either, mind, I understand that this is a free game and it's super we have these servers at all, I'm just curious if there's anything I can do about it.)
DEFE, KoBe, SEEE, DEEE, DsWn (15), OpTm, MuWz, GrEE, DsFE, NaTm, VSTm, DrFE

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th January 2017, 07:17

Re: Unreliability of akrasiac

CAO had some issues recently due some technical issues and the owner/admin not having a lot of free time to maintain it. However those major issues have hopefully been addressed. The only other recent down-times were the relocation at the end of the year, where it was down for a few days, and then this recent brief outage. So it's obviously not 99.9% availability, but it's also not unreasonable availability for a free public game server.

CAO and the other servers do go through longer outages from time to time when some major issue pops up, and the only thing you can really do is play on a different server. A good North American alternate server for you would be CJR, since it has fewer users and very little lag.

Return to Technical Support