New console colors

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 10:35

New console colors

Recently there were some trunk changes regarding the console colors. I don't know how mature the current implementation is, but at the current state I have the following issues:

Enemies change color from time to time. This mostly happens in the enemy list (see screenshot), but also on the normal dungeon map. It seems to be always white instead of the correct glyph color. The same seems to happen for other dungeon features, mostly at the edge of the map.

Also is there an option to get bold text back? Previously character name, health and magic bar would be displayed in bold text. I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I would really like to have this back.

For reference... This is how crawl looks like for me in 0.19 stable (and how I would like it to look like in current trunk):

And in current trunk it looks like this:

I use the following settings (otherwise all darkgrey is displayed as blue):

Code:
allow_extended_colours    = true
no_dark_brand             = false
bold_brightens_foreground = true

My terminal is: rxvt-unicode-256color

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 8th December 2016, 06:00

Re: New console colors

Just switch back to using 8 color mode rather than 256 color mode.

Also, I'm not sure what "darkgrey is displayed as blue" entails - are you sure it's crawl doing that and not your terminal config?

Also is there an option to get bold text back?

Bold text wasn't even programmed in purpose. It's just that in 8-color mode brightness and bold are one and the same; you can't have bright yellow text without it being bold.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 8th December 2016, 06:05

"mostly at the edge of the map."

I think you're referring to the feature which shows when something is in or our of your LoS. Lots of terminals didn't show that properly before.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 8th December 2016, 21:04

pubby wrote:Just switch back to using 8 color mode rather than 256 color mode.

This does not result in any visible changes.

pubby wrote:Also, I'm not sure what "darkgrey is displayed as blue" entails - are you sure it's crawl doing that and not your terminal config?

With default options it looks like this. This should not be an issue of the terminal since grey is clearly available.

chequers wrote:"mostly at the edge of the map."

I think you're referring to the feature which shows when something is in or our of your LoS. Lots of terminals didn't show that properly before.

I don't think think this is the case. See my original two screenshots: They show exactly the same for two different crawl versions. When you look at the top-most floor tiles of the middle corridor in the trunk screenshot, you will see that they are not darkened as in the 0.19 screenshot. Same for three of the top-most wall glyphs.

Honestly most of this are minor nuisances. But enemies being displayed in the wrong color is a no-go.

Return to Technical Support