Two issues that I think need to be looked at

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 7th November 2016, 02:20

Two issues that I think need to be looked at

As a longtime DCSS dabbler I've decided to start playing the game more seriously, but there are two issues which are negatively affecting the experience.

Firstly this bug which was reported four years ago (to the day, bizarrely enough) still hasn't been fixed.

I have the tiles scaled up to 48x48 but they look horrible without "tile_filter_scaling" enabled, but it makes the health and mana bar dark and barely visible so I'm forced to play with jaggy looking graphics instead of the more pleasing filtered view.

Secondly, every few seconds there's a strange lag where it takes about a second for the game to register what the mouse is hovering over.

You can see this by moving your cursor around over a bunch of items on the floor or over three or four adjacent descriptions in your inventory. Every few seconds it will "get stuck" and take a moment to register what you have the cursor hovering over.

This issue is very offputting and gives the game a clunky feel that breaks the games' momentum and immersion. Is there some kind of routine garbage collection or data processing going on, and if so is there a way to adjust it somehow to make this issue less noticeable?

EDIT: I resolved the second issue by disabling the tooltip as described in this thread, but this should probably still be looked at is it will make the game feel clunky for new players.

EDIT2: Spoke too soon. That "fix" actually made it worse. Now it fails to register what I'm mousing over and doesn't even register after a second like it did before. I have to move the cursor away from the item and back again for it to register. Very frustrating: :\

EDIT3: "tile_update_rate = 50" fixed it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 20th November 2016, 07:00

Re: Two issues that I think need to be looked at

I was really hoping someone might be able to help me with the dark health/mana bar bug. The game looks so good with the filter turned on but having the healthbar basically disappear ruins it.

Has there literally been zero progress on solving this issue in the last four years? Is there no way we can narrow down what's causing it and fix it?

I'm using an Nvidia GTX660 on Windows 10 if that helps at all.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in fixing this bug.

Return to Technical Support