Mac Binaries

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 02:04

Mac Binaries

It's been a bit over three months since the Macintosh binaries were updated on the main Crawl site -- has the person who maintains them stepped aside for a while?

I've tried compiling the latest version myself, but I run into library conflicts that I haven't had the time/patience to track down. If it would be a useful thing for the Crawl community, I can try to find the problem and get them compiling, and upload the results if successful.

I would love a chance to try out the new victory-dance-free experience system I've been reading about!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 08:22

Re: Mac Binaries

It's been discussed on c-r-d recently. Yeah, the dev who maintained the mac port isn't active anymore. Some people have offered help, but nothing has come out of it yet. So if you can build it following Darshan instructions, you're likely to be officially promoted to mac port maintainer ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 11:26

i tried once and got the console version working immediately (on my end, at least), but there were problems linking SDL for tiles, gave up, and forgot about it. i have virtually no experience developing in os x. i'll try to give it another go.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 12:18

The command line version and the terminal app have been building fine on my system with the latest source from trunk for the past few weeks if I build with make, but they don't seem to work using the project file in XCode. I tried building tiles, and it fails copying the tiles pngs because it looks for them in the rltiles directory instead of in the subdirectories.

I tried attaching the build to this post, but it is 6.3MB and the attachment limit is 5MB.

EDIT: I copied the .png files from /Contents/Resources in the April build into rtiles, and then make mac-app-tiles completed succesfully. But the resulting app fails on startup writing "Exited with Exit Code [-1]" to the console log. When are those composite .pngs supposed to be built in /rltiles from all the individual files in the subdirectories of rltiles, and why aren't they being built for the mac version?
Last edited by jejorda2 on Monday, 18th July 2011, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 12:31

i've never used xcode. i ran the scripts on the source/mac folder. my console build (the app) is 26 MB :/

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 12:49

absolutego wrote:My console build (the app) is 26 MB :/

I was referring to the file in mac-app-zips.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 13:39

jejorda2 wrote:I tried attaching the build to this post, but it is 6.3MB and the attachment limit is 5MB.

mediafire.com.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 14:52

jejorda2 wrote:I was referring to the file in mac-app-zips.

ah, true, i didn't think it could be compressed that much and i didn't even see it was zipped automatically (i usually don't build the app, just run make).
are you on snow leopard or previous os x versions? what's your SDL version? the build process seems to have problems finding the x86_64 libs on my end.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 16:07

I'm on 10.6.8, but the developer tools have been installed and upgraded since 10.0, so there's no telling what old installs are rattling around from past experiments. I think the only SDL I have is what "git submodule update" puts in crawl-ref/source/contrib/. Getting the build process to find SDL is a problem for me, too.

Make mac-app-tiles fails because the tilesheet .pngs aren't in the rtiles directory. Rtiles won't build because it can't find sdl.h.

I'm going to try building the SDL libraries from source and seeing if rltiles will build then. There are binaries of the libraries, but I don't know where to put them or what to do with config files so they will be found. I'm hoping the scripts for SDL will take care of that for me.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 16:34

That didn't work, rltiles still doesn't build because it can't find SDL_image.h for tool/tile.cc

Make mac-app-tiles still fails because it can't find rltiles/*.png (the tilesheets that rltiles is supposed to make aren't there.)

sdl-config --static-libs returns:
  Code:
-L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libSDLmain.a /usr/local/lib/libSDL.a -Wl,-framework,OpenGL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices -Wl,-framework,Carbon -Wl,-framework,AudioToolbox -Wl,-framework,AudioUnit -Wl,-framework,IOKit

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 16:45

jejorda2 wrote:Make mac-app-tiles fails because the tilesheet .pngs aren't in the rtiles directory. Rtiles won't build because it can't find sdl.h.

running that command builds the binary, then gets me the same as you. i copied the tilesheets from an older installation, just for kicks, to the new app, and then it runs (although it'll eventually crash). how do you build rltiles (manually)?

i'll admit that i'm fairly limited at this, but crawl's build system is very alien to me. i don't even know what options i have. (i was using the scripts darshan talked about in the e-mail.) is this listed anywhere?

I'm going to try building the SDL libraries from source and seeing if rltiles will build then. There are binaries of the libraries, but I don't know where to put them or what to do with config files so they will be found. I'm hoping the scripts for SDL will take care of that for me.

dumping the stuff into /Library/Frameworks should be enough, but i usually install whatever via macports and call it a day. that's why i'm lost now.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 17:49

absolutego wrote:[how do you build rltiles (manually)?

I just cd into crawl-ref/source/rltiles and type make, but it hasn't worked yet. It may be set up to need some kind of inputs that the main build process gives it, but I don't really know how it works. This is everything I know about rltiles, and I read that for the first time this morning: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... lp:rltiles

absolutego wrote:i'll admit that i'm fairly limited at this, but crawl's build system is very alien to me. i don't even know what options i have. (i was using the scripts darshan talked about in the e-mail.) is this listed anywhere?

Thanks for pointing out the scripts; I didn't know about those. Someone else had asked if "make mac-app-tiles" worked, so I was trying that. I see it at the end of the makefile, but I it isn't listed with the targets at the beginning.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 18:40

jesus, i missed the makefile on the rltiles folder. it complains about libpng version incompatibility, re: tilegen.elf i guess, for which there's no makefile. i'll give it another go when i have the time for it.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 19th August 2011, 03:37

I made some mac binaries that are ready for testing: http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/~abecker/crawl/

For this message the author greatzebu has received thanks: 2
Jk, sousousou

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 19th August 2011, 22:53

Those binaries are working for me on Lion so far ... will report back any issues. Thank you very much!

edit: I'm on a Macbook Air with 10.7.1 (Lion)
Last edited by Jk on Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 22nd August 2011, 00:57

I get an immediate "The application Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup quit unexpectedly." when I try to launch either of those binaries. I'm on a Macbook Pro running Leopard (10.5.8).

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 20:05

So far, so good with a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. Will report with problems.

Thank you sooooo much!

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 08:12

I really appreciate your work, have been waiting for the Mac version...

Unfortunately the game crashes upon entering the Sewers. It says something about unknown Monster "Megabat"
(running on a iMac with 10.6.7)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 08:18

sirprim wrote:I really appreciate your work, have been waiting for the Mac version...

Unfortunately the game crashes upon entering the Sewers. It says something about unknown Monster "Megabat"
(running on a iMac with 10.6.7)

Try deleting the des folder which in the saves folder.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
sirprim

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 10:20

Thank you for your help. I have a des folder, but it is located in a dat folder.
And I can't for the life of me find a saves folder.

Still delete the des folder?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 11:19

Don't delete that, /dat/des has the base data for vaults and such. In your saves folder there is a cached version of that stuff which seems to not have been properly rebuilt after the update. That's what you need to delete. If you used the installer version of crawl your saves are in some silly windows specific folder instead of the crawl directory. Application data or something, I really don't know. It probably even differs depending on what version of windows you have.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 11:23

Noticed the thread title Galefury? ;)
No idea where the save folder is on MacOS, sorry.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 12:05

After searching for the folder outside from the DCSS application, I found it and it works, so thanks you very much sir.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 12:41

sirprim wrote:After searching for the folder outside from the DCSS application, I found it and it works, so thanks you very much sir.

Can you tell us where you found it so we can also help your fellow fruit fanatics?

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 13:20

It is located under /library/Application Support/DCSS/saves/des

Note: There are many library folders, it is the one that belongs to the appropriate user (looks like each user has one and then there is a global one, I am by no means an expert)

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 13:50

sirprim wrote:It is located under /library/Application Support/DCSS/saves/des

Note: There are many library folders, it is the one that belongs to the appropriate user (looks like each user has one and then there is a global one, I am by no means an expert)

~/Library/Application Support/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/saves

or from root

/Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/saves

In OS X Lion you need to show hidden files if you want to navigate directly there.

Return to Technical Support