Not able to run Tiles (Windows)

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 19:49

Not able to run Tiles (Windows)

After trying the game online, I wanted to download the tiles version and play. However, doesn't matter which version I download (zip or installer), I cannot run the exe file. I've tried using compatibility mode, running from cmd and running as administrator, but nothing seems to work. (Clicking the file gets me a black window that disappears after less than one second, cmd gets me a blank prompt). I have Windows 7, hope you can help me and thanks in advance! (extra information: I have some of windows' features disabled not quite sure if that has something to do, also console version seems to work fine).

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 12:20

Re: Not able to run Tiles (Windows)

Make sure to properly setup your path to game files in init file.
Add or uncomment following lines in init.txt, and write a proper path to those directories. Usually that helps me in such cases.
  Code:
crawl_dir  = <path>
morgue_dir = morgue
save_dir   = saves
macro_dir  = settings/
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

For this message the author vergil has received thanks:
Francrawl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 16:45

In the past, it has helped people to run the tiles version from the command line, often you will see an error message to help you diagnose the problem
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Francrawl

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 00:17

Thank you both for your replies, although neither seem to work for me. Command line doesn't give me anything (if I use pause I get a window with crawl console commands) and changing init.txt has no effect. What I did notice is that much older versions of the game (0.5.0) do start and work.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 00:42

The latest working version for me is 0.6.1
News: If I try to start the .exe with cmd with any other imput, I get a "Dungeon Crawl command line Help" window with commands that I can't use (because the game doesn't really run).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:00

Have you tried the console version? If that works and tiles does not it could be your graphics card drivers.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Francrawl

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 18:18

Yes, Console version works just fine, I seem to have all drivers up to date (ati video card), which makes the issue even more confusing! (anyway, thanks for your replies!).

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 19:59

Maybe my only chance is in reinstalling windows, but that would be an inconvenience .

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 20:14

What do you have disabled? Is it possible that the problem is something you can turn back on?

Francrawl

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 20:19

I just tried reenabling everything (one of them being .Net framework and even trying to reinstall framework) but I keep getting the same blank prompt with cmd and nothing at all

Return to Technical Support