It simply just doesn't even start up.

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 12:58

It simply just doesn't even start up.

Windows 7. Tiles. I tried the .zip and the installer versions for 0.18. I've tried compatibility modes and running as administrator. I don't want to play the online version. I don't want to play the console version. Trying to use the executable file directly or through shortcuts, or any method, just doesn't even do anything, and I'm mad.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 15:51

Re: It simply just doesn't even start up.

Chronos wrote:Windows 7. Tiles. I tried the .zip and the installer versions for 0.18. I've tried compatibility modes and running as administrator. I don't want to play the online version. I don't want to play the console version. Trying to use the executable file directly or through shortcuts, or any method, just doesn't even do anything, and I'm mad.

I had this happen once because something got corrupted in the folder i was using, try installing to a new folder on your hard drive, or alternately try compiling it yourself... (i have never had an issue with a version i compiled on my own machine)

Fwiw i play on windows 7 too.

Also try starting the tiles program from the command line, sometimes you can see a helpful error message that isn't shown when you double click.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Chronos

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 04:05

Re: It simply just doesn't even start up.

Siegurt wrote:
Chronos wrote:Windows 7. Tiles. I tried the .zip and the installer versions for 0.18. I've tried compatibility modes and running as administrator. I don't want to play the online version. I don't want to play the console version. Trying to use the executable file directly or through shortcuts, or any method, just doesn't even do anything, and I'm mad.

Also try starting the tiles program from the command line, sometimes you can see a helpful error message that isn't shown when you double click.

This helped. Googling the error message that was returned led me to the discovery that DCSS won't work in 16-bit color mode, which I usually have my PC set to for older games that require it. Switching to 32-bit colors fixed the issue.

Return to Technical Support