#@%&! Help! Keyboard problem!

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 19:56

#@%&! Help! Keyboard problem!

This is probably an issue with my computer instead of DCSS, but I've been having a problem where occasionally when repeatedly pushing an arrow key it locks in and repeats the command a zillion times in quick succession. This has happened a few times, either sending me flying in said direction or getting my butt kicked while I scramble to mash buttons and stop it. Annoying and scary for sure, but I just lost a character due to it, a promising lvl 10 HeIE, so I need to figure out how to stop it. I'm plenty capable of killing off characters without help :D .

So, can anyone help me figure what computer setting I need to change? I'm playing 8.0 tiles on a 4 year old macbook running OSX 10.4.11. It isn't triggered by actually holding down the arrow key, just pushing the same one multiple times.

Thanks!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 19:59

Re: #@%&! Help! Keyboard problem!

Maybe it's just physical. Try cleaning up your keyboard. Although I guess on a mac you can't dismount it. When keyboard is too old, buy a new Mac! Thanks Steve :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Hambone, Roderic

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 21:07

The last laptop I owned was a Pismo, and it was really easy to remove and clean the keyboards on those. I haven't seen any of the newer ones in person long enough to try to remove the keyboards, though. You used to be able to pry the keys off and put them back on after cleaning.

I don't see anything in Universal Access or Keyboard preference panes that would cause the behavior you describe, but I'm looking at 10.6.

Is it always the same key, or does this happen with multiple keys?

And between tab, o, G, and ctrl-f, the arrow keys are hardly ever the best way to move. When I'm feeling extra cautious, I'll use x and . to move near unexplored territory just so I don't keep walking when a monster shows up.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Hambone

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 21:34

Actually, I've had exactly the same problem, also on an old Macbook running OS X 10.4.11

I don't think it's a physical problem with the keyboard, as it has happened both using the laptop's own keyboard and an external USB keyboard.

It also only happens on the downloaded version (both tiles and ASCII,) but never on the online version.

I have also found that it sometimes happens with keys other than the movement keys, so sometimes when I press, say q to quaff a potion, it will behave as if I kept repeatedly pressing q - first quaffing all the potions (if any) in the q slot then giving a string of 'you don't have that object.'

In my case it isn't necessarily triggered by pressing a key multiple times, it can happen on any key at any time - but the movement keys are more likely because they are used most.

The best solution I have found is to play online.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
Hambone

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 22:23

Thanks for the replies everyone! I managed to remove and reattach my arrow keys, and while I found a number of dog hairs, I don't think the problem was mechanical. I've encountered the same problem while auto-exploring with 'o', but the only effect in that case is a string of messages about a kobold being too close for my liking.

I've been meaning to start playing online anyway, so I'll be taking Jeremiah's advice and switching over. I look forward to being killed by all of your ghosts!

Return to Technical Support