How to play ASCII on Web?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 03:17

How to play ASCII on Web?

Is there a way to play through the website using ASCII instead of the web tiles?

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 30th May 2016, 04:07

Re: How to play ASCII on Web?

tile_display_mode = glyphs

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
Heretic, TuxedoFelix

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 9th July 2016, 22:52

chequers wrote:tile_display_mode = glyphs

Hi, could you expand upon this for me please? What do I click on or what do I adjust to do this once I've logged in? Is there a 'settings' that I need to click on or something?

Thanks in advance.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 9th July 2016, 23:07

OK, figured it out now. Sorry!

This could really do with being on the Play Online page. Would have saved me a lot of messing about(unsuccessfully) with puTTy.

Anyway, Trog bless...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th July 2016, 23:16

You can also use:

tile_display_mode = hybrid

if you want ascii-type glyphs with health bars and the like underneath, it's honestly a little weird.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
TuxedoFelix

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 19:44

I'm not asking this to be a wise-ass, but why do people prefer to play ascii over tiles? Especially where the tiles interface actually provides more information about the state of the game at a glance than ascii? Do you just not like how the tiles look? Or is it just a matter of being used to it?

I'm not anti ascii, when I play DF I use ascii, but for the same reason I use tiles for crawl. In DF, tiles give less information than ascii.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 21:12

Personally I feel i can glance at the ascii map and instantly see the situation with regard to monsters, and goodies and so on, whereas I keep having to look over at the key to get the same info with tiles, but beyond that, I simply prefer the whole look of ASCII. The tiles tend to look quite amateurish I feel. I've yet to come across a tileset in any roguelike that looks as good or better than ascii, this is particularly true of the glyph style ascii that was mentioned for the online tiles play above, which I think looks particularly nice.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 14:30

Fair enough. I've only ever played tiles for crawl, so I'm used to it, but some monsters a bit silly looking. Not that a T and an a chasing an @ aren't pretty silly themselves, of course...

Return to Technical Support