Crawl graphics messed up after installing other roguelike

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 00:56

Crawl graphics messed up after installing other roguelike

http://imgur.com/a/GQ9e1

The first picture in this album shows, more or less, the way my Crawl looks currently. Most importantly, most colours are darkened, and the darkgrey (for useless items and squares outside of LoS) is now the same colour as the background. This doesn't quite make Crawl unplayable, but as you can imagine, it messes with quite a few things. I'd love to get it solved. For reference, my computer runs Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit.

I have a decent idea of what caused the problem. I recently downloaded another roguelike (nlarn) and had a lot of trouble getting it to run, since it didn't recognize some system files. I installed (reinstalled? I'm not sure) liblua5.1 in my /usr/lib/ directory. After a few things, I eventually got that game to run, but since then, Crawl has not been running the same:

Things it isn't:
1. A terminal issue - I've tweaked all relevant terminal settings several times and reset to default in the end. Other programs, including ttyrec players, work fine.
2. An rcfile problem - The problem occurs using both my standard rc and the default rc.

I'm honestly really new to Linux, and I don't have much of an idea of how to start solving this. If anybody has information that may help, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers!

EDIT: Solved. Thanks!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 08:11

Re: Crawl graphics messed up after installing other roguelik

Can you send me your init/settings please?
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2016, 16:13

Did you mean my Crawl init or my terminal init? If it's terminal stuff, I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't know how.

Regardless, it looks like the problem had to do with my terminal settings after all; I can solve it with the line
> export TERM=gnome-256color

It defaults to another value, though, so I have to reset it occasionally.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th March 2016, 13:17

Just crawl init,
my console view looks different, want to try your settings
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th March 2016, 20:27

Oh, sure! You can find it here: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rcfiles/crawl-git/demonblade.rc

As you'll see from the top line, it's basically MarvinPA's rc with a few personal touches added. I'm a big fan of his changes.

Return to Technical Support