iOS Version

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 02:13

iOS Version

Hello there, I'm Cliffs. I've trying to port DCSS to iOS for the past few months, because I want to play it on my iPhone.

Now the iOS version is almost complete( 95% I guess ). It's fully playable without problems. Basically it is based on the Android
tile version. And I added some iOS stuff to it, such as:

1. Simulate ENTER, ESC, right/left mouse click through tap gestures.
2. Control iOS system keyboard with gestures throught swipe gestures.
3. Zoom in/out with pinch gestures.
4. Game Center support. Currently supports high score and fastest wins leaderboards.
5. ReplayKit support. Record your gameplay right on your iPhone/iPad, with/without microphone.
6. Support iOS 7. Old devices such as iPhone 4 can play it smoothly.

The source code will be available once it is done. I had a lot of fun when porting it.
It's a great game. Thanks to the development team.

Here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzVWhanpukc

EDIT:
Note that the gameplay video was record when playing on my iPhone 5s, thus tiny UI is used. The UI will be identical to the desktop version when playing on devices with larger screen.

Cheers,
Cliffs @ Dancing Bottle
Last edited by cliffs on Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author cliffs has received thanks: 2
archaeo, chequers

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 02:24

Re: iOS Version

Nice work, do you have a repository for your code?

EDIT: sound effects!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 23rd February 2016, 02:28

Ya, I forked and branched from main repo. But i haven't push my local branch to Github. I think I might cleanup some info related to my developer account before doing so.

For this message the author cliffs has received thanks:
chequers

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 24th February 2016, 18:35

For this message the author cliffs has received thanks: 2
chequers, neil

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st December 2016, 11:24

Hi guys!

Just asked Cliffs (DCSS iOS port developer) about the status of iOS port. Seems that the port is 100% ready and the only thing that is needed to submit it to App Store is the original DCSS dev team approval: https://twitter.com/DancingBottle/statu ... 3693445120

So - could our reputable dev team respond if it is ok for them to have this port on App Store? :) :roll:

(btw - Cliffs is also the author of excellent iOS port of Cataclysm: DDA)

I've been waiting for iOS port for years now, can't wait for that to finally happen - that would be the best Christmas gift ever.

For this message the author Kairn has received thanks: 2
archaeo, chequers

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 14:10

Sorry for missing this the first time. I posted a reply to the post on the DCSS subreddit. Basically, you have somewhere around 258 people whom you'd need to get to agree to a license change.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 16:12

neil wrote:Sorry for missing this the first time. I posted a reply to the post on the DCSS subreddit. Basically, you have somewhere around 258 people whom you'd need to get to agree to a license change.

I suspect you might also need to secure agreement from random non devs who have submitted patched of varying sorts over the years too, as the patches were submitted under a specific license agreement as well.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 17:09

The 258 number includes most of those random non-devs. If someone is missing from CREDITS.txt, let us know and/or submit a patch to add them.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 00:23

neil wrote:Basically, you have somewhere around 258 people whom you'd need to get to agree to a license change.

This seems like a pretty crippling flaw in GPL2, given that any project with as many contributors as Crawl has had will find themselves almost totally unable to alter the terms of the license. Is there really no other mechanism for amending the license? Does every open source project with this license have this problem, or has the DCSS dev team not taken advantage of an organizational structure that would enable amending the license, like a board of directors or trustees?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 00:40

One of those 258 would actually have to object for this to be an issue. I doubt minor contributors could make a successful copyright claim if you wanted to fight them on it. The question at issue would be something like whether end users have to download another copy of the apple store app to install on a sixth device. It would be surprising if you could even get a court to hear a case like that. I really doubt anyone but the FSF itself would bother and it's not a copyright holder here.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 01:04

Minor contributors wouldn't be make a "copyright claim," if I'm understanding this properly; the legal issue turns on the language in the contract. Perhaps there's a legal argument to be made that the license is unenforceable as written due to the unreasonable burden it places on the present developers, but IANAL and frankly, I have a hard time imagining any lawyer would want to take on a case involving free software and a license covering hundreds of people scattered across the world.

Also, I don't see why we'd want the courts to get involved; I'm pretty sure that everyone here is just trying to do right by everyone who agreed to the license, especially since, as neil pointed out on reddit, the issue involved touches on a political question that some participants in the project may feel strongly about.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 01:04

I spent a bit of time looking into the licensing last year regarding this port. This seemed to be the only reasonable approach:
1) Find a license that is basically "Current license [GPL] with the ability to distribute in walled gardens"
2) Require new contributions to be dual licensed in GPLv2 and $new_license.
3a) Contact major past contributors and ask if they're happy to relicense their contributions as $new_license
3b) Contact remaining past contributors and ask if they're happy to relicense their contributions as $new_license
4) Re-implement the code from contributors who refuse
5) Re-implement (or ignore) the code from contributors who do not reply/are uncontactable
6) Done

Contacting all past contributors seems exceedingly difficult. I could only find working emails for about 80% of them. If any major contributor refuses to relicense, re-implementing their code would be impossible (too much effort). If any major contributor makes their relicensing contingent on dealing strictly with uncontactable contributors (eg reimplementing all uncontactable contributor code), this will also likely sink the project.

And this is ignoring the process of having the current Crawl team agree to a change of license! Any change would result in more differences than just the ability to release in walled gardens, so finding an appropriate license could be intractable.

In short, I think the only way forward is relicensing the entire Crawl codebase to a walled-garden-friendly GPLv2-alike, and there are multiple factors which could block this project even quite far into the implementation.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
archaeo, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 01:12

Whether or not you could probably, get away with it isn't really the issue.

The point is that there are enough major contributors that it is a sufficiently onerous task that there is not really much interest.

The gpl is the way it is pretty explicitly for a specific purpose, it is designed to make it hard to relicense open software. What you refer to as a flaw is by design (whether you think that design is good or not is another issue)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 01:41

I think it's flawed insofar as the reasons for forbidding GPL software in the iOS App Store don't actually advance the causes of "strong copyleft," nor would putting this up for free on the App Store constitute a real reduction in how "open" this piece of open source software is. But you have a point Siegurt, and I'm not going to pretend that the FSF doesn't have one either.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 02:02

Any power a party has to hold another party to a software license derives from a copyright. There is nothing else that would impose restrictions on the right to copy and distribute the software. The license provides terms under which the copyright holder permits copying and redistribution by others, where otherwise no such right exists. There's no contract.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th May 2017, 18:49

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
archaeo

Return to Technical Support