Corrupted Tiles saves in Trunk

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd January 2011, 16:06

Corrupted Tiles saves in Trunk

There has been a lot of crashes and corrupted save files recently with the tiles version in trunk. The issue has just been fixed. If you want to repair your save, download the latest version (0.8.0-a0-4271-g90aec3c) and set the tile_force_regenerate_levels option. Once you've loaded the corrupted level(s), you can disable the option. Setting the option will regenerate tiles for the loaded level meaning you will lose all the special flavour tiles of vaults (that's why you shouldn't keep it enabled).

Also, if you have opened an issue on Mantis, please report back whether or not this has fixed your save file.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd January 2011, 16:18

Re: Corrupted Tiles saves in Trunk

galehar wrote:There has been a lot of crashes and corrupted save files recently with the tiles version in trunk. The issue has just been fixed. If you want to repair your save, download the latest version (0.8.0-a0-4271-g90aec3c) and set the tile_force_regenerate_levels option. Once you've loaded the corrupted level(s), you can disable the option. Setting the option will regenerate tiles for the loaded level meaning you will lose all the special flavour tiles of vaults (that's why you shouldn't keep it enabled).

To be absolutely sure you might have to check all levels loaded since the bug was introduced before disabling the option again, which luckily can be achieved with the X[ and X] commands. New games are safe and don't require setting the option.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
Napkin

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 01:01

This bug still exists. I just saw this again on the latest version (0.8.0-a0-4271-g90aec3c). I filed a bug report on it.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 01:25

It fixed my (or I tested only one yet) crash and corrupted savegame. Thanks for saving my promising character :-)

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 15:22

I just got this bug. Now I can't load up my save without the game closing out. Where is the tiles_force_regen option at? I'm looking through all the settings in the folder and I can't find it.

Edit: To clarify, I can't see "tile_force_regenerate_levels = true" anywhere in the init file or tiles_options. I tried adding it in myself but it did not work. My save still crashes immediately at start up.

Edit #2: Nevermind, I realized what the problem was. I thought I had the latest trunk build, but...I was wrong. It's early and I'm still too tired to be able to use critical thinking skills.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 22:16

I have the latest Trunk version and i think i encountered this bug. I tried to go down some stairs but when i did the game crashed and everytime i try to load the saved game it crashes. I have the "tile_force_regenerate_levels" set to true. Am i doing something wrong or did i encounter the bug?

Server Admin

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 22:53

This is about loading a level which you have been to previously. Is it the first time you visit the level behind those stairs? If so, then it's not related to this bug.

In any case, it would be great if you could report the bug in our bug tracker. Please attach the savegame (.cs) to your report. Thanks!
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 13:48

Napkin wrote:This is about loading a level which you have been to previously. Is it the first time you visit the level behind those stairs? If so, then it's not related to this bug.

In any case, it would be great if you could report the bug in our bug tracker. Please attach the savegame (.cs) to your report. Thanks!

I did report it (was my first report so if i did something wrong or missed anything do tell) but the same thing happend to me in another save but this time it was when i went down some stairs that lead to a level i had already visited should i report that as a new bug or edit my original post?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 15:52

If this is the bug I think it is, it should be fixed in the current trunk version (ff17aec).

If you're playing that version or a newer one and experience a crash in a Tiles game that ...
a) was started in this version, or
b) was loaded from an older version, but with tile_force_regenerate_levels = true

... that would be a new bug and should be reported.

lollipopman91 wrote:I did report it (was my first report so if i did something wrong or missed anything do tell) but the same thing happend to me in another save but this time it was when i went down some stairs that lead to a level i had already visited should i report that as a new bug or edit my original post?

Either way works. If you think it's the same bug (same circumstances, same result) re-opening an existing bug report might make things easier. If you do open a new bug report and think it might be related to an older one, it helps if you mention the other BR's id (e.g. '#1234') in the bug description.

Thank you! :D
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 00:20

I have a save from OSX Tiles 0.7 that crashes when I load it, due, apparently, to a glitched enemy spawned by hell effects. Would regenerating the level like this fix it? Is this a known bug/should I report it?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 09:50

vladimirdx wrote:I have a save from OSX Tiles 0.7 that crashes when I load it, due, apparently, to a glitched enemy spawned by hell effects. Would regenerating the level like this fix it? Is this a known bug/should I report it?

That's a different bug for sure and I don't think level generation has anything to do with it.

I'm not sure I heard about this one either. The only Tiles-related crash bug in 0.7 I can see is a crash when entering a level at a depth that was already reached in a previous game during the same playing session (restart_after_game = true), but for hell effects that's really unlikely. Could be none-tile specific, even, or restricted to OSX.

Just in any case it's a new bug, please submit a bug report, attach the save file and mention the "glitched enemy".

Thanks! :D

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 10th January 2011, 21:55

I got this bug and dowloaded the latest version of trunk (4483) but I couldn't load my old save due to a version mismatch or something, so I d/l'd the version mentioned in the OP (4271) and was able to resume my game. However now when loading the game I'm getting these warnings:

Lua error: C:\Program Files\Crawl 0.8\dat/des/portals/icecave.des:60: attempt to index global 'callback' (a nil value)
Lua error: C:\Program Files\Crawl 0.8\dat/des/portals/wizlab.des:388: attempt to index global 'callback' (a nil value)
Lua error: C:\Program Files\Crawl 0.8\dat/des/variable/altar.des:38: attempt to index global 'callback' (a nil value)
Lua error: C:\Program Files\Crawl 0.8\dat/des/variable/float.des:14: attempt to index global 'callback' (a nil value)
Lua error: C:\Program Files\Crawl 0.8\dat/des/variable/trap.des:8: attempt to index global 'callback' (a nil value)

What do they mean? I had similar Lua errors regarding uniques in a game on another version and in that game I didn't indeed see uniques :( Am I missing out on something here? Can I fix it somehow?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 09:43

The major version has changed this week-end, so savefiles are not compatible with the latest version. The last version before the major version change is 0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f. For your problem, please post it on mantis or on the interface & software forum. This thread is about a specific problem, if people keep posting random bugs in it, I'll just lock it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Technical Support