Local Build Failing

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 09:29

Local Build Failing

Tried to make a simple mod for 'Gnoll' race (as mentioned in CYC); I've now officially spent far longer being completely unable to do a local build to test the code adding the race than I spent writing the code.

I've tried about everything at this point; followed both the minGW and cygwin instructions for Windows, in both cases got similar error; makes me think either a step is missing from the documentation of the instructions or a file is missing from a default pull on the repo.

The cygwin error (copy paste):
  Code:
$ make tiles=y
  * If you experience any problems building Crawl, please take a second look
  * at INSTALL.txt: the solution to your problem just might be in there!
    * Need to build contribs: pcre lua/src
make[1]: Entering directory '/cygdrive/d/git/crawl/crawl/crawl-ref/source/contrib'

The 'pcre' directory exists, but the Makefile is missing!
Did 'git submodule update' work properly?
(It's probably better to install all native dependencies instead.)

Makefile:22: recipe for target 'pcre' failed
make[1]: *** [pcre] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/d/git/crawl/crawl/crawl-ref/source/contrib'
Makefile:1589: recipe for target '.contrib-libs' failed

The minGW error (Image):
Spoiler: show

I'm out of ideas.

---

I'm 100% sure my code adds the race, it's racial mutations and it's aptitudes.
I'm unsure if the apts work on their own (since +2 experience never existed before mostly and may need new code to exist).
I'm unsure if I made the racial mutations do what I want them to (MUT_LOW_STAT makes immune to Slowing and Paralysis from 0 stat (edited in an exception in player_stat);
MUT_FAITH is supposed to give faith intrinsic permanently (edited in a similar way to clarity mutation, but unsure if it works without testing).
Probably have to also add an exception to the warning about removing faith amulets, since it already has the intrinsic, but unsure if that exception is already handled and wanted to test what I got first.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 11:16

Re: Local Build Failing

From the top-level directory of the checkout, run
  Code:
git submodule update --init

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:11

Nope. Other ideas?

I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:15

I think the command should be run from source folder.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
bcadren

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:19

Well that did something. I'll see if I can build when it finishes checking out all the things it's checking out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:22

I build it as "make TILES=y NO_PKGCONFIG=y BUILD_ALL=y" by the way, not sure it is makes any difference.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:32

Tried several combinations of params and got new errors; though it actually did do a bunch of stuff the first time, I can't find any actual build so the errors I'm getting must be stopping it. Did I miss a package, maybe? I think I downloaded everything in the devel package just to make sure I wouldn't miss anything.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 15:12

ALMOST got it to work, one error left.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th June 2015, 17:38

bcadren wrote:ALMOST got it to work, one error left.

You need Perl. That should have come with msysgit if you followed the instructions in INSTALL.txt. Probably you could make it work with ActiveState Perl or Strawberry Perl instead, but you might need to muck about with your path. I'm not all that experienced with Windows and mingw/msysgit, and haven't built Crawl there, so can't offer more specific advice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th June 2015, 22:17

Late to the thread but yeah I'd be most bothered by the "unknown command"/"command not found" errors. Seems like you are missing some tools from your environment, advpng, pngcrush, and perl. In the updated screenshot seems like perl is the last one it's complaining about, so try that first. Sounds like the other two are mostly image compression tools, and may not be required, but it'd probably still be a good idea to get them.

Return to Technical Support