Increasingly severe degrees of failure due to computer error

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 00:44

Increasingly severe degrees of failure due to computer error

Right, so I get and install dungeon crawl(tiles, of course), start it up, and get BOMBARDED with ridiculously difficult to read text :shock: . Literally, an asterisk(*) comes out like some sort of wonky, misshapen block of pixels... Needless to say, I'm getting really ticked off at it, :evil: but I can't stop playing, even when I'm being zerg rushed by orcs who keeping smiting me!
actual* gameplay messages
*not
"You come across an orc"
"You panic, summon an army of imps, and blink away"
"You walk off feeling smug..."
"You get 'ninja'd by an orc priest!"
"Orc priest calls upon power of [insert random god here] and smites you!"
"Thou art dead..."
And that naturally makes me feel like this...
I think it has something to do with the resolution of my screen... :cry: Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Marauder51 on Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 01:55

Re: Increasingly severe degrees of failure due to computer e

So like, there I was...sitting innocently at my terminal, and suddenly this WALL of incomprehensible text appears.

I mean, yeah, I had started reading this forum board and all, but like -- BOOM -- out of nowhere, ya' know?

</snark>

I'm not sure what the problem that you're experiencing actually is. Based on your post, it could either be (I'm assuming you're playing Windows, if not, please say so):

1) You're playing the console build and you wanted tiles. Solution A: Use the other shortcut in the installed directory. Solution B: Download the correct package.
2) You're playing console, and the font is too small for you see. Solution A: Create a shortcut to the Crawl executable, and specify a larger font size in the properties page
3) You're playing tiles, and some unexpected graphical event is occurring, whereby you see what appears to be an asterisk instead of a tile at some point on screen? Can't help you there, but if saw something like an "Assert" message, you could try filing a bug report on Mantis.
4) None of the above?

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 02:02

Thank you for the reply (minus the snark ;) ) I am playing the Windows Tiled version, and it's not just the asterisks! EVERYTHING is really blurry and its difficult to make out what the characters are, when they aren't just completely omitted! Is there a way to increase the font size in tiles?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 05:37

You can use options to set font size. What resolution are you using? Check also your graphic drivers, that never hurts.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 10:29

Well, I'm on 1360*768 resolution on a 10 year old, integrated, INTEL, POS graphics card. I've attempted increasing the fonts' sizes in tiles_ options.txt, but it hasn't changed anything. Its irritating :x Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated. Also, some more detail, when I hit ctrl+P to view my messages, they show up decently, but bits of some letters are missing, like the stems of r's, and most symbols don't show up

EDIT: I have determined... that it is NOT the resolution! I just tried every resolution in windows (admittedly limited) books, and there is no change. At all. Whatsoever. Just so we're clear. :mrgreen: My graphics card is, as I said, "a 10 year old, integrated, INTEL, POS graphics card", And I have recently updated the drivers for a whole bevy of reasons I will not even BEGIN to go into, because I can't imagine you care (Morrowind), so any enlightenment you have to offer is GREATLY appreciated.

DOS EDIT: I have also determined... that it is my computer causing the problem! When I make changes to the tiles_options.txt file, Dungeon Crawl totally ignores them and does what it doing :evil: . Because it's inflicting fullscreen (even though I set it to false!) upon itself, it stretches out to fit my weird screen and screws all the text up!!!! Tell me why its being obstinate! :cry:

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 05:08

Possibly a silly question, but have you removed the # character at the beginning of the tiles setting line you're changing, such as the fullscreen setting?

The # character makes the whole line a comment, and thus ignored, so no changes will take effect until you remove that #.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2011, 15:09

I feel a retard. No,i didn't. I fixed that, but that wasn't the only problem! VeraMona is an awful font for this, so I switched that, upped the font size, and now it works! Hooway! :lol:

Return to Technical Support