Adding an executable to the repo

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 20:30

Adding an executable to the repo

I cross-compiled crawl for the Beaglebone Black's arm processor, and I'd like to submit the resulting executable to the repo. My goal is that in the future if someone types (on the beaglebone) "$ apt-get install crawl" after adding the repo to their /etc/apt/sources.list, it will simply give them the arm executable. I'm moderately experienced with linux but I've never contributed to a repo. How do I go about this?

And for anyone who's curious, running Crawl on the beaglebone is really fun because it makes a great game server for ssh sessions from either school, home, or abroad, using the same save file.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 23:40

Re: Adding an executable to the repo

You should just have to "stage" the file, and then generate a patch. Since you aren't on the dev team, you can't push it to the repo yourself, you'd have to have another dev do it for you. You can submit your patch file, and then they can apply it.

Staging the file is git add <filename>, and then git commit -m "This is the beaglebone black executable file" (or some better commit message). I'm not sure what the command line command for generating a patch is - I use sourcetree, which I recommend. Create patch is on the action menu there ;)

Not entirely sure where you would upload the patch, I think you can submit it through mantis. If someone who's done that can confirm, better than me guessing at it!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 00:55

tasonir wrote:You should just have to "stage" the file, and then generate a patch. Since you aren't on the dev team, you can't push it to the repo yourself, you'd have to have another dev do it for you. You can submit your patch file, and then they can apply it.

Staging the file is git add <filename>, and then git commit -m "This is the beaglebone black executable file" (or some better commit message). I'm not sure what the command line command for generating a patch is - I use sourcetree, which I recommend. Create patch is on the action menu there ;)

Not entirely sure where you would upload the patch, I think you can submit it through mantis. If someone who's done that can confirm, better than me guessing at it!

Wrong sense of repo.

OP is talking about a package repository, not crawl's git repo.
Which I personally can't comment on -- no particular familiarity with how debian or ubuntu do things. I think though, that if there is an existing crawl package for the linux distro you're talking about, you should do a search, find out who the maintainer of it is and talk to them.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 19:17

savageorange wrote:
tasonir wrote:You should just have to "stage" the file, and then generate a patch. Since you aren't on the dev team, you can't push it to the repo yourself, you'd have to have another dev do it for you. You can submit your patch file, and then they can apply it.

Wrong sense of repo.

OP is talking about a package repository, not crawl's git repo.
Which I personally can't comment on -- no particular familiarity with how debian or ubuntu do things. I think though, that if there is an existing crawl package for the linux distro you're talking about, you should do a search, find out who the maintainer of it is and talk to them.

It's the repo from the Crawl main page at http://crawl.develz.org/debian/dists/crawl/0.16/ . There actually are armel and armhf binaries in that link but they don't go to an executable. When one adds http://crawl.develz.org/debian to their apt sources.list, and types $ sudo apt-get install crawl, it doesn't install the exectuable for the arm architecture. I'll look for someone I can email about this I guess.

Return to Technical Support