Damage and Hit Rolls?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 08:03

Damage and Hit Rolls?

Hi.

I'm fairly new to Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Have played around 30~ish characters and have gotten to around D:4, eh.
I really love the game, and I think with the help of the forum and webtiles I might understand abit more about the tactits that DC:SS is all about.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any way to see 'to-hit' rolls and/or damage rolls? If not is it left out by choice?
I always feels that alot of the fights are very random, or RNG. And it would be fun to accutally see how you missed and how much damage you inflict with weapons etc.
I don't know if there are criticalhits in DC:SS but if there are, that would be hell of-a-fun to see the results.

So is there some hidden option? Mod? anything that will get this to be shown?

Cheers!
Great game, keep the updates comming.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 09:05

Re: Damage and Hit Rolls?

No you can't see those numbers, unless you have compiled it in debug mode :)

It's a design choice. We don't want to throw endless numbers at the player. We try to provide only relevant information. It doesn't really matter if you hit the hobgoblin for 5 or 6 damage, so we don't show it. However, it's very important to know that some armour has an evasion penalty of 3, not 4.
There are some hints about the to_hit and damage rolls. When a blow misses, it can "barely miss" or "completely miss" for example. The number of exclamation marks hints at the strength of a blow. There's no critical hits, but when you for high damage attacks, there's some flavour text ("You open the orc like a pillowcase!")
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 10:43

Aha I see. Well I can totaly agree with that, now when you say it.
If feels that the game is all about metagaming and numbercrunshing and with lack of numbers its really hard to do that. But then again, it woudn't be so hard and challenging if there were numbers so.

Another question tho, is there anyway to change the coloring of the messages?
Like for, hit, miss, get hit, blocks, damage, and for that flavor texts?
Maybe grey is for miss and white for hits. Where green is for when you deal damage and red when you take damage etc.
That would help alot to sort out without have to read every line of text ^^;; Well it would still be able to know what happends and still have the fast combat when battling small numbers of enemies?

Cheers

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 12:39

Yes, a lot can be configured regarding messages. Look into messages.txt in settings (and read options_guide.txt)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Laddeus

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 07:09

Hmm I can't seem to understand how I should change it. Is there any easy guide how to?
I feel that there are alot of things that are tweakable with Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup - maybe thats for another thread but, are there any "must-have" tweaks?

Cheers.

Return to Technical Support