Can't play Crawl: broken graphics, stutters, lags

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 08:21

Can't play Crawl: broken graphics, stutters, lags

So after taking a long leave of absense since I think version 0.13, I decided to get Crawl again. Downloaded it, started it without messing with any settings and I get this:
and as an added bonus, the game is lagging horribly while it looks like this.

I've tried downloading the 0.17 32bit and 64bit zips, the 0.17 installer, the 0.16 stable installer, all for naught, the result is always the same like this.

What is wrong, why isn't it working properly? Between 0.13 and now my computer configuration hasn't changed and it's also still Windows 8 like back then, so what gives?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 09:45

Re: Can't play Crawl: broken graphics, stutters, lags

It looks like opengl is having a seizure, are your GPU drivers OK?
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 15:53

Bloax wrote:It looks like opengl is having a seizure, are your GPU drivers OK?

They should be, I mean I haven't updated or changed them in forever and they seem to be enough to play games with way more requirements. Sure, the graphics card is old and I only have 2GB RAM, but it's just a little simple game that shouldn't be causing that many problems

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 17:56

Ok dug around the forum, seems to be a common enough problem and has something to do with OpenGL

here's the thing though, I already got the newest drivers for my graphics card and that's about it, they can't be updated anymore. Yeah sure it's an old graphics card but this is just ridiculous, it's a sprite based game, it shouldn't have such high requirements to play! Other 3D games are even working properly and are happy with less, so why is Crawl so shoddily coded?

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 29th April 2015, 07:58

holy shit finally fixed this

after a long, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong session of googling, reinstalling drivers about 100 times and battling with windows trying to force its old default drivers unto me, I managed to get the graphics drivers properly installed, graphics card started supporting opengl 3.3 and now the game works and looks proper

For this message the author ayylomau has received thanks: 2
dpeg, rockygargoyle

Return to Technical Support