Lagg issues on reg. updated Tiles for W8

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 05:58

Lagg issues on reg. updated Tiles for W8

I haven’t been able to play a steady Tiles version for quite some time now on windows 8.

The movement keys are acting weird like I’m holding down SHIFT (that seem to be have been fixed in the latest dev. build I tried), everything moves really sluggish and I got constant lag issues – on Tiles regularly updated version :shock: (i.e. not playing via internet).

More-so it takes up to 30 sec to start a game from when i hit the DCSS shortcut til I`m inside the game and can start choosing race, class etc.

As stated this has been going on for several weeks now and although I don’t mind playing older versions of the game, I mostly prefer trunk but I’m stuck with v.0.16.a0.2097 atm.
I read some posts, this amongst others, mentioning something drastically changed with DCSS coding about the same time so I’m guessing it´s related.
It´s almost as if theres something in Windows 8 trying to prevent me from even starting the newer DCSS version, sometimes it fails alltogether and perhaps that´s why I´m getting this weird constant "lagg" effect?

Someone that can relate and have similar issues on Windows 8 - or on any OS for that matter :?:
Anyone found a workaround even if temporary :?:

Any help greatly appreciated!

---
My machine
I have a one year old PC: i-5 (3.10 GHz), 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 650, Direct X-11 with a 100/10 mb line (tho that shouldn't effect local play) & I haven't had any problems with any other games, including older versions of DCSS. Every driver is up to date.

(EDIT: i checked Mantis Bugg tracker first but could not find a post with these specific problems, hoping someone on this forum has a fix).

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 13:02

Re: Lagg issues on reg. updated Tiles for W8

Not ONE reply? Dam, i guess i AM all alone in this. :shock:

As a test, i downloaded the newest development build yesterday to both my computers, the one described above running Windows 8, the other is 4 yrs old and running W7. Again it was unplayable on Windows 8. On Windows 7 i also had lagg, not nearly as bad as on the W8 machine, but there was still a slight lagg. Interestingly enough the lagg only starts when I encounter mobs and in fights, not when auto traveling. This is true on both W7/W8.

I´m now convinced this has to do with the recent (well, if we call 2-3 months "recent") changes to the coding of DCSS.
I find no other explanation. I hope this will get fixed in the nearest future, but i´m not counting on it since it´s not even acknowledged. :cry:
(Playing on webtiles is not an option since the lagg is even worse there)

Peace out!

Edit: I might post this somewhere else on the forum where it would get more views & maybe someone has a fix or similar experience.
Last edited by graffen69 on Friday, 13th February 2015, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 22:21

Have you tried recompiling it with the 64 bit toolchain? I know I had some issues that seemed to be tied to the 32 bit compatability layer...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 00:52

I've also had issues with the system acting like my Shift key is held down. It resolves itself when I manually press the Shift key. I don't notice any major 'lag', but my system is fairly beefy. I thought it was just my keyboard acting up, but if you're seeing it too, it's probably actually a bug. I'll raise it in Mantis if it hasn't already been mentioned.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 01:00

Does it actually run properly in 64-bit? I noticed some compilation warnings in 64-bit related to a data size mismatch (casting a size_t to an int or something like that); I forget exactly where, but it made me think I should stick to 32-bit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 01:08

It seems to work fine for me. But I'm compiling/playing on Windows 7.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 01:13

graffen69, out of curiosity, are you using a Logitech G-series keyboard? I'm using one here and I've occasionally had weird issues with keyboard interaction in other applications, so that might explain why we both had the Shift-stuck effect occur. It's still occurring for me, last time I checked (I'm pretty sure I saw it this morning with a fresh build I made myself directly from trunk.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th February 2015, 02:01

When adding an item to your inventory from a single-member stack, do you see a message indicating that there is nothing to pick up after the item is in your inventory?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th February 2015, 05:13

Jarlyk wrote:I've also had issues with the system acting like my Shift key is held down. It resolves itself when I manually press the Shift key. I don't notice any major 'lag', but my system is fairly beefy. I thought it was just my keyboard acting up, but if you're seeing it too, it's probably actually a bug. I'll raise it in Mantis if it hasn't already been mentioned.

I think the SHIFT key-issue was solved. Don´t have any issues with it currently in trunk.

Jarlyk wrote:graffen69, out of curiosity, are you using a Logitech G-series keyboard? I'm using one here and I've occasionally had weird issues with keyboard interaction in other applications, so that might explain why we both had the Shift-stuck effect occur. It's still occurring for me, last time I checked (I'm pretty sure I saw it this morning with a fresh build I made myself directly from trunk.)

That´s really interesting, I use Logitech K120 on both my machines and I have been using Logitech (both Keyboards and Mouse) for years. I have had another problem for a long time with my mouse pointer losing focus and just jumping all over. I wonder if it´s related.

jejorda2 wrote:When adding an item to your inventory from a single-member stack, do you see a message indicating that there is nothing to pick up after the item is in your inventory?

Nope. Seems fine.

Also some commands have stopped working like ALT + ? which used to bring up the auto-pickup toggle/list but now seems to have no effect. My toon´s aren´t picking up anything and auto eat seems to have no effect either, despite changes in the init file.

Not sure what´s going on.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 15:13

Having the same issues in trunk v.16 :(
The lagg kicks in when I hold down a key, not if i spam it.
Last edited by graffen69 on Sunday, 9th August 2015, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 15:59

On Windows, tiles version 15 was way more responsive. The lag issues occur mainly when there are monsters on the screen. Are there any settings to alleviate the problem besides those already mentioned in the docs? Currently I am not playing version 16 anymore. My system is a Windows 7 64 bits, Core i7 and NVIDIA GTX 950M video card and the drivers are up to date.

Return to Technical Support