New guide needed to compile crawl in windows

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 15:24

New guide needed to compile crawl in windows

Recently, something broke, or something got added that's not fully supported, or some such technical nonsense, which has caused it to no longer be possible to compile crawl locally following the guide that was linked here a while ago.

I know in another topic people have seemingly solved this issue, (https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14174) however it's not completely clear (to me at least) what actually needs to be done to solve the issues, as it looks like some of the original issues discussed in that topic have already been solved, and others have not.

I (and other not so savvy users) would be very grateful if someone could put up some sort of rough guide on what steps are needed to compile crawl, preferably from a fresh start.

I'm aware that the trunk builds are being updated daily again anyway, however it's good to have the option to compile it myself, especially when there are interesting branches to try out.

Thanks in advance.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
lrvs

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 16:23

Re: New guide needed to compile crawl in windows

The problem is that crawl code is now using a newer version of the C++ language than before, and the compilers that come with msysgit are not compatible with that version of C++. So you need to install a different compiler package. This however leads to some other problems, which you have to get around by using certain make options. I wrote a short step by step guide below. If you have previously compiled crawl, you already did steps 1 and 3. There's no need to start from a fresh msysgit installation, but I had problems in the past that were likely caused by not updating msysgit for a very long time. So if your msysgit installation is very old, consider updating or reinstalling it.

1. Install msysgit, netinstall, preferably to the standard folder.
2. Download the compiler package installation thingy from http://win-builds.org/1.4.0/msys-cygwin.html and install it into msysgit. To do this, just follow the instructions for msys on that website, but skip step 1. Don't use a fresh msys installation but instead run the exe you downloaded from an msysgit console. It will ask for your msys folder, it's the one you installed msysgit to.
3. To compile crawl you first have to obtain the source files via git, but if you compiled crawl before you probably already did that. If you didn't, follow the original guide for compilation in windows.
4. Because there are some new submodules you may have to run "git submodule update --init" from the repository root directory, even if you have previously checked out the submodules. Just do it once to be sure everything is there.
5. You are now ready to compile crawl. To do so you go to the "source" directory and use the "make" command, but you may need a few extra options. I cant give a minimal set of make options, but the following commands should work: "make BUILD_LUA=y" for console, and "make TILES=y NO_PKGCONFIG=y BUILD_ALL=y" for tiles.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 2
damiac, Hirsch I

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 18:51

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Galefury.

By the way, shouldn't this, and probably the original Msysgit guide, be stickied in the tech support forum?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 19:00

Probably the INSTALL.txt should be updated and linked in the useful links thread.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 21:00

Probably the INSTALL.txt should also point at msysgit's new home as well.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 13:30

YEAH, IT WORKED!
I feel so 1337 h4X0r now.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 12th December 2014, 00:22

Alright, followed that guide. Still being told that ddraw.h, dsound.h and dinput.h are missing. And msys is still using the 4.4.0 gcc version.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 12th December 2014, 12:46

I'm just guessing here, but you might need the 64 bit version of the build tools. Have you tried using it?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 12th December 2014, 21:49

Makes no difference.

The script definitely runs, but it doesn't appear to change the toolchain over. Fooling around to see exactly which parts of the script are getting run each time.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 10:41

Not sure that it´s related but I haven’t been able to play a steady version for weeks, maybe months for windows 8. Constant lag issues on Tiles regularly updated version rivaling online lag. :cry:

Return to Technical Support