Running DCSS from an external storage device

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 17:09

Running DCSS from an external storage device

Can DCSS be run off a usb stick or external hardrive?

My job has a fair amount of downtime some days, but there is a firewall in place or something that prevents downloading DCSS and websocket technology so I can't play online.

If it can be run from an external storage device, how exactly would I go about doing this?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 18:15

Re: Running DCSS from an external storage device

Unpack a non-installer version onto the external drive and you're ready to go.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 19:35

Non-installer version? As in a compressed file of the game that needs to be manually unpacked before installing?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 20:30

It does not need to be installed. Just unpack the zip and run crawl.exe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 20:45

The "Installer" version is an executable installer that unpacks everything in specific locations on your hard drive, and does stuff like put an icon on your desktop, sets the save and morgue folders to the location where application data is "supposed" to go etc. etc.

The zip version is just the same stuff the installer would install, in a zip. Crawl doesn't care where it's located, doesn't need any registry variables or anything to be registered or installed on the system, it's completely self-contained. So unzip the zip file to an external drive then you can run crawl from the folder you unzipped it to.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 31st August 2014, 16:10

In particular, look for the "Windows Zips" line at the downloads page on crawl.develz.org.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 02:04

I saved the dungeon crawl stone soup zip file on my USB, then I Unzipped it inside the USB. However, when I try to open it inside the USB a DOS prompt appears and says, "Save directory does not exist and I cannot create it. Press Enter to continue..."

I guess that means I wont be able to play crawl from my USB, on this computer right? Is there a way for me to fix this without any administrator privileges?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 02:32

It's trying to create a "saves" folder in the directory, but the program doesn't have access to do that.
You can probably make it yourself, and then any other directory it complains about.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Return to Technical Support