Separate build directories

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 09:26

Separate build directories

Has anyone figured out an easy way to build DCSS in a directory other than source directory? I would like to keep around simultaneously different builds (regular console, debug, tiles) of the same sources without having to recompile the whole thing over and over again. This would be only for running locally from the source directory, no need to 'make install'.

The obvious solution of keeping separate copies of the source tree for different builds does not sound very good for development work, as that would require copying the local changes to multiple places for testing.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 12:39

Re: Separate build directories

mursu wrote:Has anyone figured out an easy way to build DCSS in a directory other than source directory? I would like to keep around simultaneously different builds (regular console, debug, tiles) of the same sources without having to recompile the whole thing over and over again. This would be only for running locally from the source directory, no need to 'make install'.

The obvious solution of keeping separate copies of the source tree for different builds does not sound very good for development work, as that would require copying the local changes to multiple places for testing.

What I do is just rename the executable after I build, using a script. So I have crawl-master-tiles, crawl-master-web, crawl-diag-tiles, crawl-prof-ascii, etc. I still have to do a checkout to play a different version, though, since (for example) 0.15 .des files don't work with 0.14 because of added monsters/items (and vice versa because of removed ones).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 06:11

Re: Separate build directories

If you do "make install DESTDIR=somearbitrarypath" you can build to a separate play folder for each type of build.

If you just want to call the executable something different you can do 'make GAME=someexecutablename'

I'm not quite sure what you meant by 'not having to recompile it all over and over' did you mean 'not have to compile it again for debug vs normal compile' (Which isn't possible, fundamentally debug changes which code is active and compiles, so it has to compile the whole thing). Or were you perhaps just compiling the version you wanted and then running 'crawl.exe' (You may not have realized that even without the GAME= flag, you could simply rename the executable 'crawl-tiles.exe' 'crawl-debug.exe' etc.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Technical Support