Tiles version hangs when attempting to start

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 18:14

Tiles version hangs when attempting to start

Version 0.14.0 when I attempt to start the tiles version all I get is this:

no matter how long I wait. I can play the tile version on the web just fine, but for some reason downloading it won't work.

Computer specs:

Code:
Summary
      Operating System
         Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
      CPU
         Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz   49 °C
         Conroe 65nm Technology
      RAM
         8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
      Motherboard
         Dell Inc. 0PU052 (CPU)
      Graphics
         DELL 1909W (1440x900@60Hz)
         Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family (Dell)
         Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family (Dell)
      Hard Drives
         373GB Hitachi HDS724040KLSA80 ATA Device (SATA)   40 °C
      Optical Drives
         BMNYJMT L2R8LMBW9A SCSI CdRom Device
         HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT10N ATA Device
      Audio
         High Definition Audio Device

Not the best computer on the planet, especially graphics wise, but even the tile version isn't exactly graphically intense and I've run other games with far more demanding graphics so I have a hard time believing the usual culprit (my poor excuse for a graphics card) is to blame here. Also there's the odd fact that I can play the tile version just fine online.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 18:24

Re: Tiles version hangs when attempting to start

Crawl has a weird startup problem in windows (it happens in both console and tiles mode), Typically it just takes several tries, kill the window then re-launch it.

It has to build some internal tables the first time you launch a new version, so that's typically when things hang the most frequently.

(see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11476)

If you can't get it working after re-launching a couple times, it may be something nasty in your settings folder, try blowing it out and start with a 'clean' version.

Also, (and this seems unlikely, but possibly related to your problem) I had a crawl folder stop working altogether once, I could launch if I renamed the folder to something else, but renaming it back (Or indeed, installing any completely fresh version to the same-named folder) caused it to fail utterly. I assume in my case it's because of some deeply rooted path-based windows 7 32-bit virtualization nonsense (or maybe antivirus crap? who knows), but I ended up just relocating crawl elsewhere on my machine and am happily crawling away.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 19:05

Thanks. Hopefully that will help me clear things up. It would be nice to be able to play without so many player ghosts popping up to kill me.

For this message the author proxiehunter has received thanks:
galehar

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 25th April 2014, 06:20

Launch your game with a batch file or shell script to delete all the bones files before calling the actual crawl executable.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 22:11

skjarl wrote:Launch your game with a batch file or shell script to delete all the bones files before calling the actual crawl executable.

If I knew what a bones file was or where to find them I'd give that a try. If those are found in the morgue file I'd have to get the game to run before I had anything in it wouldn't I? I can only get the online version to run not the downloaded version.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 23:27

Ghosts can be removed in offline version only, delete "bones" files in "saves" directory (if I am not mistaken).

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 27th April 2014, 19:47

I'm sorry if this double or triple posts but quoting doesn't seem to be working for me for some reason, my reply hasn't been showing up.

Sandman25 wrote:Ghosts can be removed in offline version only, delete "bones" files in "saves" directory (if I am not mistaken).

The problem is I started this thread because the offline version would hang when I tried to start it, hence the thread title. I thought I had it solved a few minutes ago when I turned my monitor down from 32 bit color to 16 bit color and the game started, but now large parts of my screen are covered in white:

Return to Technical Support