Crash on startup

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 24th March 2014, 20:58

Crash on startup

I've had an ongoing problem wherein Crawl crashes when I launch it. It happens during the "reading maps" section of the launch. It doesn't generate any crash files in the morgue folder and the window closes without presenting any kind of exception. It's essentially a crash to the desktop. I run the tiles version locally on Windows 7 32-bit. Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times in a row, sometimes it launches without a problem. I've had this trouble across several versions going back to at least (I think) .12. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't really have much to work with since I can't get any logging from the problem. The event viewer isn't even showing an application crash.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 05:19

Re: Crash on startup

Yeah, I've had it too, it's plagued every version going all the way back as far as I can remember (I recall seeing it in .10 at least, I'm not sure if it was in .7-.9, but I was playing that on a different platform altogether), in tiles in manifests as window closing, in console it seems to manifests as a 'hang forever'.

FWIW I found that with a less-populated morgue folder I found it happens less frequently (Although still not "never") it's pretty annoying though.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th March 2014, 19:04

It's been reported already. I think it started to happen when kilobyte parallelized database building. Nobody has been able to figure it out. Maybe we could #ifdef to disable it under windows?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 28th March 2014, 19:20

This happens a lot to me the first time I run a new build of crawl. On one version it happened twice. After that, it keeps working fine until the next build. This is on windows tiles

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 31st March 2014, 08:02

That's because the issue is with database building which only happens on the first run or whenever .des files are updated.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 6th April 2014, 23:19

galehar wrote:Maybe we could #ifdef to disable it under windows?

I just did this; let's see if we continue to get reports for the 0.14 release.

I'd really like someone to figure out the underlying problem rather than paper over it like this, though.

Return to Technical Support