Autofight/Scrolls?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 16:51

Autofight/Scrolls?

so I've been having the experience on a recent game where I will be tabbing through some enemies ( :lol: ) and then I will get messages that I was reading scrolls? I know my finger wasn't anywhere near r, so it's not that. Is this issue on my end? Or should I submit a bug report?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 16:56

Re: Autofight/Scrolls?

It's a problem with latency. Tab works by pressing buttons to aim at stuff, and if you mash tab really really fast and the network is really laggy, sometimes the buttons go in the wrong order and weird things happen. Maybe throttle down the button mashing.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
SublimeSnake

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 22:46

ontoclasm wrote:It's a problem with latency. Tab works by pressing buttons to aim at stuff, and if you mash tab really really fast and the network is really laggy, sometimes the buttons go in the wrong order and weird things happen. Maybe throttle down the button mashing.

Sounds like there should be an ordered transmission guarantee for the protocol. A roguelike isn't the kind of game where I want a lossy input scheme.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 23:38

ontoclasm wrote:It's a problem with latency. Tab works by pressing buttons to aim at stuff, and if you mash tab really really fast and the network is really laggy, sometimes the buttons go in the wrong order and weird things happen. Maybe throttle down the button mashing.
This cannot possibly be correct, for multiple reasons. (I apologize for my mistaken bug report about this a year ago.)
1. It occurs over SSH and Telnet, and unless I badly misunderstand TCP, it guarantees correct order.
2. You're sending the SAME KEY multiple times, why would the order affect anything?
3. It happens even in local games.

I believe the problem instead has to do with using autofight during animations. Ranged combat makes an animation every time you use it against a non-adjacent enemy, so it's much more noticeable there.

Return to Technical Support