color monster name in messages via difficulty

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 00:50

color monster name in messages via difficulty

I coulda sworn there's an init.txt option for this, but i can't find it, help? :)

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 04:32

Re: color monster name in messages via difficulty

You can color them in the monster list via 'monster_list_colour'.
And you can set a color for a message line containing eg 'stone giant' using, for example 'message_colour ^= red:stone giant'.

But you cannot colour the individual words. Colour can only be set per message line.

For this message the author savageorange has received thanks:
halbyc

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 13:36

monster_list_colour: key,colour 'changes the default colour in the monster list, where by default monster list colour is based on threat level'

so... the idea of colouring monster names via threat level is already implimented within this 'monster list' but i don't understand how I am to see the monster list?

For example, when I stumble upon a kobold, and right click him, it says his threat level is 'easy', yet stumbling upon him, the msg was red, which should be a colour reserved for difficult monsters...

what i want, is for hit 'this monster is easy' description line, to just be tacked onto the 'you stumble upon a kobold, using a long sword' line so that i don't have to right click every monster i find.... OR if that's not possible, then rather than the 'this monster is easy' line, just color code the stumble msg based on threat.. is such a thing possible?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 13:37

also i'm not sure i asked this clearly anough: What is the monster list?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 13:55

ah, ok, so bellow the minimap and above my skill list, there is a monster list, which theoretically should be colored by monster threat, but all monsters are instead just their picture... in the 'tiles' changelog, i can see that the monster list is 'sorted by difficulty' but there's no other indication of difficulty unless you right click a monster from the list.

Am I to understand, from that, that I CAN get a colored monster list, but only if I do not play tiles?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 02:18

I just use ctrl+X, as the command list page (press '??') says. It doesn't seem to have coloring by threat level by default, though.

I play tiles.
Have never tried to get coloring by threat level, so far. Might be good, I'll have a go.

IMO the message color should be red because stumbling on a monster is often a dangerous event in crawl.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th February 2014, 14:44

Threat colouring in monster list only works in console and webtiles. The local tiles monster list is crap.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Technical Support