Inventory and squinting

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 12th August 2014, 20:43

Inventory and squinting

Hello everyone.

I got a new laptop last October which I like very, very much. Before that, I had a refurbished... uhhh... I think it was a 2006 laptop, which, while slow and insanely out of date, played Crawl-Tiles perfectly. I mean, why wouldn't it, of course.

And now I have this fancy massive (for a laptop) machine with the big HD screen and all that, and... it's not as easy playing Crawl. Fiddling around with font sizes, tile sizes and map dimensions using suggestions gleaned from this very forum (back when I lurked) and the such, I was able to fix these issues... except the damn Inventory, and the spells, commands and action bars that are part of the same 'section'.

Has anyone else had this same issue and been able to finish it? Clearly I am able to play, but it sometimes hurts my eyes and I think I forget about/don't notice I have useful items all the time because it's so damn hard to 'read' (so to speak).

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 12th August 2014, 23:32

Re: Inventory and squinting

I had a similar-(ish) problem with my laptop, where everything was too big / shunted off. Given your post, it sounds like you've played around with the init file, so I don't know if this will actually be helpful, but what fixed my issue was toying around with this section:

Code:
# tile_full_screen      = True
tile_window_width     = 960
tile_window_height    = 540
# tile_use_small_layout = true

I hope you're able to resolve it soon!
Wins: TrMo^Oka, GrBe, MiBe

For this message the author Scrawl has received thanks:
LJFCAT

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th August 2014, 01:37

Thanks Scrawl. Unfortunately, yes, I did already fool with those particular lines - and everything is a size I am satisfied with, except that damn inventory. The boxes/item slots are so small, and when it comes to things like scrolls and potions where you regularly have multiples, forget it; It takes a bit of effort to read those numbers. It's so odd to me that the init file doesn't have anything for resizing the inventory when just about everything else can be resized. It drives me insane, in fact.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th August 2014, 16:45

Alternatively, switch to Webtiles, where there is no inventory, spell, or ability list, instead it has the console monster list with approximate danger level. Then you are forced to use the the "i", "z", and "a" menus. Of course, you could just use those menus too.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks:
LJFCAT

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th August 2014, 21:55

I'd suspect that running in fullscreen at a resolution about half your laptop screen's might do the trick; alternately, messing around with zoom levels (Windows has a 'magnifier' tool that seems relevant), and setting that to 2x. Those will both mess with things other than the bottom-right section, though... not ideal.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
LJFCAT

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th August 2014, 00:41

Thanks for the responses and advice, guys 'n gals. I have tried resolution changes and a myriad of other ideas, and so far the only fix that eludes me is the small inventory.

Nils, your idea of using the 'i' menu more often is definitely a good one. I have started using it more but I need to get into the habit of using it all the time. As for Webtiles, well, my internet is not very reliable and I also don't like the idea of people watching me play and criticizing my every move... LoL

I appreciate the ideas, Fungus, but the first one didn't work for me and I'm not sure you are entirely serious about the second one. LoL

It's not like it's unplayable or anything, but it'd sure be nice to have being see-able again. I've gotten much more used to it than I ever thought I would. I'm betting someone needs this fix more than me out there, though.

Return to Technical Support