How to reinstate the key assignments

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 06:38

How to reinstate the key assignments

I'm playing console version 0.12-a0-1307-g647e000d. Ctrl+E is not working for some reason to exclude a square from stash tracking ('Uknown command' message). I suspect I could change the key assignment. How can I reinstate it?

Another issue is with 0.11 tiles version. I pressed something I do not remember and when I'm pressing Drop ('d') and '&' to select useless chuncks, rotten chunks are not selected. How to reinstate it to be able to select rotten chunks when I press '&' after 'd'?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 13:43

Re: How to reinstate the key assignments

That command no longer exists (it was an ancient relic from when squares had to be explicitly selected for stash tracking).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 16:18

said46 wrote:Another issue is with 0.11 tiles version. I pressed something I do not remember and when I'm pressing Drop ('d') and '&' to select useless chuncks, rotten chunks are not selected. How to reinstate it to be able to select rotten chunks when I press '&' after 'd'?

I don't think there's anything you can press that makes rotten chunks no longer useless. You can, however, learn the spells Sublimation of Blood or Simulacrum. Then chunks of any state are useful.

The saprovore mutation also makes rotten chunks useful (edible), but I don't think you can acquire that unless you start with it or you're a demonspawn with the foul stench mutation.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 16:54

Look in the options (init.txt) and you find those lines :
prefer_safe_chunks = false
easy_eat_chunks = true
easy_eat_gourmand = true
easy_eat_contaminated = true
auto_eat_chunks = true

and also

list_rotten = false
auto_drop_chunks = (never | rotten | yes)

They are pretty self explanatory and may reduce your tediousness of dropping them manually/eating.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 17:00

I think , selects all useless items.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 19:11

Yes, I learnt a spell Sublimation of Blood. It explains everything, thanks.
But I was deeply surprised Ctrl + E does not exists anymore in the console version. It exists in the tiled version and it is very useful indeed for me.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 21:02

It's gone in tiles too, possibly you have an old tiles build. (I'm deeply surprised that anyone had any use at all for such a pointless command!)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 21:04

It's been removed from all versions, console and tiles. Your tiles version is probably older. The command has been removed because we find it completely useless. What do you use it for?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 20th December 2012, 21:27

I use it when organize my stash usually in Temple or Lair:1. If I do not exlude the squares with my stuff, it will be found with 'Ctrl + F' command which is utterly undesirable for me.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 09:21

Why is it undesirable? It's useful to know that some stuff is in your stash, and it doesn't really clutter the search results. You can even use it to search your stash since only the stuff matching the search will be shown if you examine a stash from the search results.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
crate

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 09:51

How can I distinguish the stuff from my stash from the litter which is scattered all over the dungeon? I know what I have in my stash and I would like to exlude it from the search.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 14:07

include !!temple in your search string? Or make your stash waypoint 1, then search for !!1.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 19:06

Ok. What about excluding the stuff in my stash when I search for .. ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 19:11

Search results show the locations of items. Is it hard to ignore things that are in T or L:1?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 19:47

It is too complicated and inconvenient. If Ctrl + E is useless for you, it does not mean it is useless for other people. You could just leave it, couldn't you?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 21:01

said46 wrote:Ok. What about excluding the stuff in my stash when I search for .. ?

If you mean searching for "..", which is all items,
  Code:
.. && !!Temple

or even just
  Code:
!!Temple

works.

If you mean scrolls, you can search for:
  Code:
scroll&& !!Lair:2

or wherever you stash is. You can't search for "?" because trying to type a question mark brings up search help.

It also works to turn off autopickup for identified items that you have an adequate supply of in your inventory, then just search for more when you need them without worrying about a stash.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 22:20

I got used to Ctrl + E, it's easy and you need to remember nothing except '.' and '..' What is the reason to type '.. && !!Temple' every time when you can just type '..'? I insist on 'Ctrl + E' is very useful indeed and there was no point removing it from the game. Especially taking into consideraton the fact if you don't like 'Ctrl + E', you can just not use it at all and leave that possibility to other people. All people are different and one likes it, but one not.
Last edited by said46 on Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author said46 has received thanks:
crate

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 22:47

said46 wrote:I insist on 'Ctrl + E' is very useful indeed and there was no point removing it from the game.

I'm not a crawl developer, and I haven't looked at the code, so I can't pretend I really know what I'm talking about, but I imagine the "point" may have been that it took effort to keep stash exclusion working while adding other features to or maintaining search and stash tracking.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st December 2012, 22:51

"If you don't like it, you can just ignore it" is not a meaningful argument. Removal of features has nothing to do with whether anyone in particular likes or dislikes them, but whether they actually add anything worthwhile to the game or not. This command in particular had large amounts of dead code attached to it from the ancient explicit stash tracker (which has now been removed, cleaning up the code), and even caused bug reports due to its completely unintuitive functionality. I'm afraid you'll have to live without it, or play an old version where it still exists, or patch it back in locally.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 01:14

It's a pity. Anyway, thank you for your answers.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 01:50

By the way, the game is wonderful, and I am ready to pay some reasonable money for it, especially if its interface becomes more friendly for ordinary people like me. Can I find out the way I can donate?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 02:19

The only way to donate is by contributing to the project: code, vaults, ideas, text.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 21:27

BlackSheep wrote:Search results show the locations of items. Is it hard to ignore things that are in T or L:1?

said46 wrote:It is too complicated and inconvenient

Seriously?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 21:54

When I'm searching for '..' I usually do it to check useful items I've missed, considering arts, potions, etc. Coloring helps a lot, but information regarding my stash is utterly redundant and confuses me. Considering your tone I suppose you think I'm too stubborn to put up with the fact 'Ctrl +E' has been removed, but I'm not. It helps, seriously. No point kidding.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 22:12

Out of curiosity, how did you search for things that are in your stash?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 22:21

On the whole I remember what I have in my stash. Usually I can just go and check what I have (except some situations when I'm in Abyss etc.). More important thing for me is what I've missed. If I see, for example, potion of heal, I don't ask myself if I have enough of them or not, I'm just picking it up. What the reason to know how much of them I have already?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 23:00

When I reach a certain point in the game, I like to know if I've found certain spells. When I run out of a potion, I like to know that there are some in my stash before I burn the turns, piety and hunger trekking all the way back up and all the way back down.

If I want to see things I've missed, I usually don't look at every item everywhere, but rather search for a particular thing like "potions," "scrolls" or "wands." If I think I should have found a better weapon already, I'll look for "polearms" or "axes."

The search tool is very flexible. I don't think I've ever used it to search for ".." because I know how much random, useless stuff will show up in the results. However, if I did decide to wade through a listing of every item in the game, I know that the results would be sorted by floor, and the marginal cost of hitting page down an extra time would not really put me off.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 22nd December 2012, 23:40

Your post proves one more time all people are different, aren't they? I agree you are much more experienced player, but this game is played by noobs as well, isn't it? And you can check that I've got two thanks from experienced players for my post, which proves I'm not alone with this.

Return to Technical Support