Changing character for Trees and portals on console

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 11:33

Changing character for Trees and portals on console

I am playing console mode on CLAN with my HTC One X using a SSH client. The client says my console is 80x30. Everything else works well, except when there are Trees or Portals/Shops on the screen. Trees use the "clubs" character and portals are the arch thingy, or upside down U. These two seem to be wider than normal characters and they mess up the screen layout pretty badly. Is there some option to change them to something else? I seem to recall that trees used to be number 7 some where... What other characters could be free to use for these?

I have no problem with these while playing on an I pad, how ever I can't check now how wide my console is on that...

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:14

Re: Changing character for Trees and portals on console

You probably want
  Code:
char_set = ascii

I still advice getting a SSH client which can handle unicode characters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 18:35

I use JuiceSSH and Hacker's keyboard on my android and it seems to work pretty well, admittedly, I don't play on my android much, because I prefer a real keyboard.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 20:30

Tedronai wrote:You probably want
  Code:
char_set = ascii

I still advice getting a SSH client which can handle unicode characters.

That's not the problem (or they wouldn't show up as arches/clubs at all). The problem is that, in his font, those are double-width glyphs. Crawl has no way of knowing that, though: libc claims those are single-width.

MrRokkomies: you might try a different font. Or you can remap those glyphs with something like:

display_char = arch:\
display_char = tree:7

in your rc. You can use Unicode chars there too: just pick one that isn't double-width.

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
MrRokkomies

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 12:21

Thanks neil, that was exactly what I needed.

Return to Technical Support