Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 22:12

Can't install from source, "fatal error: X11/Xlib.h"

I'm running Crunchbang 64, I installed a couple of days ago.

Hello all, I was originally trying to install from the deb package, but the current deb file references a package that's not in the current Debian Stable repos (it does exist, but it's going by a different name--see this link: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13652&p=200539#p200539). I tried sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade; neither of those fixed the issue.

Now I'm trying to build from source because the stable releases have the dependencies in their tarball (am I correct here? I know there's a version w/o dependencies, but I downloaded the one with dependencies included).

I could've sworn I installed 0.15 last week on a different installation of Crunchbang (Debian Stable: Wheezy). Maybe I am mis-remembering.

I'm having trouble. I'm trying to install system-wide, and when I try entering

Code:
sudo make install prefix=/usr/local TILES=yes

from the ~/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib directory, it gives me

Code:
make: Nothing to be done for `install'.

So I figure I have to

Code:
sudo make prefix=/usr/local TILES=yes

first, and then do "make install" afterwards (or something; I'm guessing at that), and when I enter the above I get this output:

Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sqlite'
    * rebuilding sqlite: new build flags or prefix
    CC sqlite3.o
    AR libsqlite3.a
    RANLIB libsqlite3.a
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sqlite'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sqlite'
    INSTALL sqlite3.h
    INSTALL libsqlite3.a
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sqlite'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sdl'
    * rebuilding sdl: new build flags or prefix
    CC src/SDL.o
    CC src/SDL_error.o
    CC src/SDL_fatal.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_audio.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_audiocvt.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_audiodev.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_mixer.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_mixer_MMX.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_mixer_MMX_VC.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_mixer_m68k.o
    CC src/audio/SDL_wave.o
    CC src/cdrom/SDL_cdrom.o
    CC src/cpuinfo/SDL_cpuinfo.o
    CC src/events/SDL_active.o
    CC src/events/SDL_events.o
In file included from src/events/SDL_events.c:27:0:
include/SDL_syswm.h:58:22: fatal error: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [src/events/SDL_events.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib/sdl'
make[1]: *** [sdl] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ecs/games/stone_soup-0.15.2/source/contrib'
make: *** [all] Error 2

So, I'm not sure why "X11/Xlib.h" is missing. Is that somthing that is 1) missing from my tarball, or 2) missing from my system?

I was trying to follow the directions in https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/source/89a97a114bd8f418740d779a353161f090ffaf9d:crawl-ref/INSTALL.txt#L191-197 but it's not obvious what needs to be entered at some point. I was trying to enter "sudo make install --prefix=..." at some points, I was totally off, it's not a flag.

It would be fantastic if I could get a list of every command I enter, in the order I should enter them, such that I can get this installed. I'm indifferent as to whether I'm going to install it via building from source, or getting the deb package to work. Thanks!

edit: I'm commenting out the crawl ppa in my /ect/apt/sources.list in case that's causing dependency issues, and after I clean stuff up w/ apt I'll try installing from source again. For reference: http://askubuntu.com/questions/140246/h ... ding-a-ppa ...is a page I'm looking at. Nothing seems to be particularly Ubuntu-exclusive in the instructions, so I figure the advice there-in will apply to my Crunchbang install...

edit #2: I got 0.13 to install from the the Crawl ppa. I'll just use that version in the mean time. Sigh :C