Autotarget bugs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 11:36

Autotarget bugs

I'm a little bit annoyed by a couple of minor autotarget bugs. I figured that these bugs should be quite old, so I'm not sure if there's any point in reporting them on Mantis, however I'd like to ask if they really annoy others as well and if there's a plan to improve the autotargetter.

Some of these bugs:
1. Autotarget immune monsters with spells *when there are other, not immune monsters around*. (Strangely enough, when only immune monsters are in LOS, you get a warning message and they don't get targetted.) For example target a skeleton with pain (and cast it without warning/capital Z) when there's also a hobgoblin in LOS.
2. Autotarget monsters with bows etc. trough plants/fungi, even when it is clear that the missile/zap would hit the plant. (I'm not speaking of bolt spells which can hit trough the plant.)
3. Ballistomycete's can be autotargetted when there are other dangerous monsters around. This is also annoying, I guess it's really rare that you want to target the thing, and since usually it's not urgent to kill them, I tend to assume that I'll target the only real monster (for example a orc warrior) in my LOS.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 11:47

Re: Autotarget bugs

I remember reporting the first one on mantis. I guess it's not a priority.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 13:14

Re: Autotarget bugs

Bugs being old isn't a very good reason to not report them. Two of these are already reported though. There is also a parent issue for targeting bugs in general, patches welcome etc.

Return to Game Design Discussion