Change "Staff" to "Rod" for Trog Acquirement

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 25th November 2013, 18:44

Change "Staff" to "Rod" for Trog Acquirement

Not much more to say. If acquiring "staff" under Trog always results in a rod, why not just say so in the acquirement menu? We modify the acquirement menu for Fedhas, turning "food" into "fruit," could we do it for Trog?

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Sandman25, Tiktacy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th November 2013, 18:46

Re: Change "Staff" to "Rod" for Trog Acquirement

archaeo wrote:Not much more to say. If acquiring "staff" under Trog always results in a rod, why not just say so in the acquirement menu? We modify the acquirement menu for Fedhas, turning "food" into "fruit," could we do it for Trog?

Wow... I didn't know rod is guaranteed with Trog. It could make some games much easier.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 25th November 2013, 18:52

If magic skills are 0 (including Spc) then a rod is guaranteed in staff acquirement yes.

For this message the author DracheReborn has received thanks:
Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Monday, 25th November 2013, 19:09

DracheReborn wrote:If magic skills are 0 (including Spc) then a rod is guaranteed in staff acquirement yes.

As long as I'm once again suggesting things I can't really help implement, why not just remove this special case, too, or just extend the situation we already have w/r/t book acquirement under Trog (which treats all casting skills as zero, if I'm understanding mantis right)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 25th November 2013, 19:26

archaeo wrote:if I'm understanding mantis right?

You are understanding it correctly (I was just looking at this bit of code yesterday)

One perhaps-difference between books and staves, is that while Trog forbids magic, and hence the use of spellbooks altogether (Other as fire-fodder), he doesn't forbid the whacking of things with an enhancer staff, so while they aren't as useful as they could be, enhancer staffs *could* theoretically be usable by a Troglodyte, particularly one with a high staff skill and evocation (And perhaps even some elemental skill from before they took up the Trog mantle) I realize that's a weird, and unlikely scenario, but it's not one forbidden by Trog at least.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 02:10

dck wrote:Guaranteed can still be striking.

Still much better odds of getting something good. Even the second worst option (rod of the swarm) is far more useful than most wands. I'll try my luck with wand acquirement if I have a good amount of them already identified and I'm comfortable with how strong my character is, but in the event of an early scroll of acquirement, a rod is much more likely to make a difference, and hence a no-brainer for me.

Anyway, to go back to OP's suggestion, besides renaming "staff" to "rod" for Trog followers, why not also rename it to "staff & rod" for everybody else? It took me maybe 2 years of playing Crawl to discover that staff acquirement could gift rods.
Last edited by asdu on Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author asdu has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 09:24

perhaps a simpler solution is to separate staff and rod acquirements, and then Trog followers could be able to choose Staff (like felids can't choose armour). Or you could allow staff for them too, no harm in it.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 09:55

I've split the pointless argument to advice.

asdu wrote:rename it to "staff & rod" for everybody else?

Sounds like a good idea.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 16:41

DracheReborn wrote:If magic skills are 0 (including Spc) then a rod is guaranteed in staff acquirement yes.

Not exactly: a non-Trog character with 0 magic skills can get a staff (though they are more likely to get a rod). However, acquirement is guaranteed not to give you a useless item, and magical staves are considered useless for Trog worshippers. So Troglodytes in particular always get rods.

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 2
DracheReborn, Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 16:55

If acquirement is guaranteed not to give you a useless item then why can a mummy get staff of energy?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 17:01

sanka wrote:If acquirement is guaranteed not to give you a useless item then why can a mummy get staff of energy?

Staff of energy can also be evoked for MP channeling (recent change).

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 21:29

neil wrote:

Not exactly: a non-Trog character with 0 magic skills can get a staff (though they are more likely to get a rod). However, acquirement is guaranteed not to give you a useless item, and magical staves are considered useless for Trog worshippers. So Troglodytes in particular always get rods.

Thanks neil. I looked at it again, I somehow missed the 1-in-5 chance for staff regardless. I guess I conflated it with the Trog thing.

Return to Game Design Discussion