Is Iljyb getting jacked?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 18:41

Is Iljyb getting jacked?

In trunk (vs 0.7) he keeps spawning with pretty much nothing, or if nothing maybe a wand if he's lucky.

Otherwise barehanded, with nothing. Not much of a challenge.

I just had him spawn, in trunk, with a wand of DIGGING. Now that's just sad.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 20:40

Re: Is Iljyb getting jacked?

I wouldn't mind him getting powerful wands occasionally, but I hate it when I hit an early unique with polymorph. A wonderful way of getting a nasty mutation before you have an adequate coping strategy. Frost, fire, etc. are slightly less nasty.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 21:09

Ijyb has HD: 3 and uniques with HD<5 don't get the most powerful wands. I added paralysis and draining a while back to the list of high tier wands so he doesn't get them anymore. Being hit with draining after 2 turns in red sonja wasn't very funny. Draining is downgraded to polymorph other by the way ;)
I'll special case him so that he can get high tier wands in normal game.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 21:39

galehar wrote:I'll special case him so that he can get high tier wands in normal game.

No, really, I'm okay with him not spawning with the high-tier wands. At that point in the game the good wands can deal more damage than the player character has hit points, and they aren't all that balanced in the hands of the player, either.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 17th March 2011, 22:37

Yeah, keep him with low powered wands. This wasn't Iljyb, but let me tell you about the time a Goblin found a Wand of Disintegration and then met my XL2 character...
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 03:10

Iljyb is barely noticeable at present, could he just be guaranteed a decent weapon? Nothing crazy, but bit of branding would make him something to keep an eye on.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 03:28

Sometimes wrote:Iljyb is barely noticeable at present, could he just be guaranteed a decent weapon? Nothing crazy, but bit of branding would make him something to keep an eye on.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Ijyb is the most dangerous unique in the game. You tend to notice him a lot more after he breaks a few of your streaks.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 13:17

Ijyb may not spawn with a guaranteed good weapon, but it's one of the Immutable Laws that he will find the best floor weapon on the level before you do and equip it.

And if you want an early unique with annoying habits and a guaranteed good weapon, there's always Grinder...Ijyb is the Jessica to Grinder's Sigmund.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:27

Stormfox wrote: ... Ijyb is the Jessica to Grinder's Sigmund.

Grinder is a sack of fat without a wand, whereas Jessica can spawn on D2 and cast harder than an orc wizard if she feels like it. Did I miss something?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 18th March 2011, 19:47

grinder has pain punches instead of a pain weapon now

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 19th March 2011, 01:28

Damn... I should have used that thing when I had the chance. Didn't that guy show up on the same patch as death knights were removed? That was kind of a kick in the teeth.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 04:22

Ijyb is not really much of a threat, but he can be a bit of a nuisance if you are cornered (rare though). Give him darts and that will change - or Javelins, since that would somehow be more funny.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 18:17

mikee wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree. Ijyb is the most dangerous unique in the game. You tend to notice him a lot more after he breaks a few of your streaks.

Maybe in 0.7, but in trunk lately he's been nothing but a wimp. He appears, generally unarmed (I'm getting unarmed orcs on late dungeon and vault levels too, lately. Throw them all a crappy sword!), and just soaks some damage before being dispatched.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th March 2011, 18:31

minmay wrote:Do you guys play nothing but FeBe or something? Ijyb is more of a threat than Sigmund or Grinder, unless you're one of those players who attacks every unique as soon as you see them.

Ijyb's depth is 2-7 so it really depends where you meet him.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 00:34

minmay wrote:unless you're one of those players who attacks every unique as soon as you see them.

Got me! Only a coward skips a level just because there is a unique!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 00:57

minmay wrote:Do you guys play nothing but FeBe or something? Ijyb is more of a threat than Sigmund or Grinder, unless you're one of those players who attacks every unique as soon as you see them.

I'm not sure which Ijyb you're running into. The one I usually find has normal speed and a melee weapon, which is a combination that means he's only slightly more dangerous than any other random monster. Unless he also starts with an out-of-depth wand, but that applies to every random goblin generated. Sigmund and Grinder have crippling ranged status effects.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 01:35

Latest trunk, ljyb just spawned with a wand of disintegration... on D3

was a nice character too, +2/+2 axe of electrocution on D1...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 02:52

I am a bit puzzled since both in 7. and Trunk I have never been blasted away by him. I see him just about every game, and I have played quite a few lately.

The wand of disintegration seems a bit ridiculous for D,2 But I fail to see how he could be any more deadly than a pre cloaked Sigmund.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 09:04

FlyingPants wrote:Latest trunk, ljyb just spawned with a wand of disintegration... on D3

was a nice character too, +2/+2 axe of electrocution on D1...

I did warn, didn't I? Sometimes, Ijyb spawns early with a wand. Now, some of those times, the wand will be a powerful one. It can already happen with Sigmund who has the same depth, but with him, you're expecting it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 12:11

Ijyb has killed me twice lately with single hits from +6 and +9 clubs. I've learned I should probably pick up his club if I don't have something better by then.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 13:00

With the anecdotal evidence, I still stand by "Ijyb is the Jessica to Grinder's Sigmund".

Grinder, you know what you're getting into: pain(ful) melee attacks, some spells that can make your day very bad, and an annoying habit that can make him a lot harder to deal with for some character builds. (Grinder's blinking, Sigmund's invisibility.)

Ijyb can be all over the map. Sometimes you kill him in three hits and you wonder what all the fuss is about. Sometimes he OHKO's you and you wonder where the hell it came from. At least from personal experience with Jessica, she's either a total wimp (even with her blinking and haste) or she steamrollers me, nothing in between.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 16:40

jejorda2 wrote:Ijyb has killed me twice lately with single hits from +6 and +9 clubs. I've learned I should probably pick up his club if I don't have something better by then.

He has yet to arrive armed for me. Unarmed with a Wand of Digging, twice.

I am seeing way too many weapons on the floors and unarmed orcs and kobolds avoiding them to just outright attack me. Only once, recently, did an orc pick up a glowing green staff and go after me, otherwise they are too busy wanting to attack me with their bare hands than arm themselves.

Also WAAAAY too many spellcasters pushing their way through melee fighters to the front lines.

Return to Game Design Discussion