Flavoring Pandemonium

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 08:16

Flavoring Pandemonium

We discussed the extended endgame recently, and I orbited around the topic talking about fluff and new monster sets and things. I'll try to be more direct and concise here.

First, why? Talking about flavor and fluff is a suspicious business even on the best of days, because a lot of people bring in ideas that are too complicated, too specific, or too different for the Crawl community. Imposing a narrative on the game is one of the things that we should be very cautious about: because the emergent narratives of Crawl are attractive to many players, and because the lack of a necessary narrative is conducive for players who just want to experience the gameplay.

The best thing is when fluff and gameplay work together. Vaults, for example, works well now that we have a whole vault-humanoid set that lends a sense of organization to the place. Hell works well because the fluff informs the nature of each sub-branch (the issue of hell effect changes notwithstanding) and ties each sub-branch to its lord in a way that isn't reliant on a lot of explanatory text.

Thus, I think that Pan should be the realm of forgotten gods. The unique pan lords, and the randomly generated ones, are thus old gods without worshipers themselves, or are powerful servants of gods that no-longer exist. They don't have to be changed at all, and this would help explain where these powerful beings come from, and in the case of the big four, how they differ from the lords of Hell. This doesn't prevent the inclusion of demons in Pan, no more than Vault Wardens and Convokers and things preclude stone giants and shadow dragons and what-have-you. This preserves all the good threats that Pan already has.

In the simplest way, this change would help players know how the three big post-game branches stand in relation to one another -- one is the kingdom of devils, one is the warped tear in reality, one is literally a godforsaken wasteland. It also opens the way for additional refinements to Pan.

Related to this flavor proposal is the piety-diminishing effect that dpeg and perhaps some others have discussed for the Abyss -- I think that the Abyss has a lot of gameplay effects going on that can alter how players tackle things, and I feel that Pandemonium could use a unique one of its own. Attacking a player's piety/god abilities isn't something exploited yet in the game, and it's hard to say what would be a good way to do this; feel free to use this thread to discuss ideas. Broadly speaking, I think there are a few ways to do this:

- Piety costs of god abilities are greater
- Piety diminishes over time more quickly
- Piety gain is slowed/lessened
- Specific threats (monsters, Pan effects) that prevent ability use/passives, or harm your piety as an attack

Finally, the monster set doesn't need to be changed at all, but it can be spiced up by the inclusion of non-demonic, non-eldritch, non-undead foes. I have a couple of rough ideas, but again, please use this thread to come up with some.

Thoughts?

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks:
reg

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 08:44

Re: Flavoring Pandemonium

I like the idea of forgotten gods, but I don't like the only change is saying that Pan lords are actually gods/champions of gods/whatever.
I think Pan lords should be randomized but they have to be one-themed with floor, e.g. Firestorm-capable Pan lord should have fire-themed level.
I also think we need much more themes than just demons/unique lords-related creatures (those are nice and fun actually)/ultra-rear holy pan (never encountered that one, say undead levels with Necro-lord, lightning-themed levels, maybe some natural levels, also (maybe) a good idea of banishing Jiyva into Pan if TRJ is killed.
I'd say Pan should have different Zig-like levels.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 14:34

FWIW, some discussion has already been had about adding piety-attacking monsters to the Abyss, since Lugonu's flavor is already anti-pantheon, and there's a certain amount Cthulhian chaotic nihilism floating around there.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 22:01

I like the god-forsaken realm flavor, but I'm not crazy about the idea of that manifesting itself by attacking piety and/or god abilities. Mainly this is because Pan can take a while to get out of, if there is going to be a realm that drains piety I really feel like it needs to be somewhere that you can hit the eject button on relatively easily.
kekekela is my in-game name

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 19th November 2013, 23:23

I'll agree that Pan has really uncomfortable flavor right now. We know Pan Lords have some objection to you taking the Orb of Zot. We know they live in an infinite realm, etc., and that there are four big ones with runes, but that's really it, unless there's some extended description stuff somewhere describing how they relate to the Hell Lords, the Pantheon, or whatever. It feels perfunctory, like we have a branch that exists only as "the realm of more runes and asshole uniques and zig portals."

It's worth noting that originally, the Pan Lords were gods like Okawaru. So there's that.

Giving some thought to developing this flavor may help shape the mechanics, but I'm not super sold on attacking piety; it adds a really annoying mechanic to one of the most annoying areas of the game to get out of. Personally, I've always thought that you could just put random portals to the Pan Lord levels in Abyss:5, eliminate the Demonic Rune, and be done with the branch altogether, but I bet that idea won't fly.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 04:37

Lasty wrote:FWIW, some discussion has already been had about adding piety-attacking monsters to the Abyss, since Lugonu's flavor is already anti-pantheon, and there's a certain amount Cthulhian chaotic nihilism floating around there.

I have two reasons that I think this would be better in Pan than in Abyss: first, the Abyss is already crowded with gameplay features. Monsters there have a lot of unique gimmicks that don't show up elsewhere, the terrain rearranges itself, there are deeper abyss layers that are progressively more threatening as you descend.

Secondly, Lugonu is anti-pantheon, but still operates by the same piety rules as other gods. Corruption of altars, another feature discussed occasionally, seems to be about war between gods more than about god-nesss in general. I'd like to see an anti-god-power mechanic affect all gods.

MDvedh wrote:I like the idea of forgotten gods, but I don't like the only change is saying that Pan lords are actually gods/champions of gods/whatever.
I think Pan lords should be randomized but they have to be one-themed with floor, e.g. Firestorm-capable Pan lord should have fire-themed level.

Changes have to be made in small steps, and having a strong theme at the core of a branch leads to better detailed threats and encounters. More could be done to change Pan lords, but they perform largely as-intended at present.

As far as unique Pan Lords who have a themed floor go: I could imagine in the future we could have several or even many more unique Pan Lords, who rotate like Lair branches; for example, we could have a unique Holy Pan Lord to go with the holy level, with accompanying rune, who is vetoed if the player is worshiping a good god. But I don't want to go to deeply into this line of discussion in this thread, at least not yet.

battaile wrote:I like the god-forsaken realm flavor, but I'm not crazy about the idea of that manifesting itself by attacking piety and/or god abilities. Mainly this is because Pan can take a while to get out of, if there is going to be a realm that drains piety I really feel like it needs to be somewhere that you can hit the eject button on relatively easily.

I definitely agree that a strategic piety-draining effect would be a pain, considering the long vacations players have to take in Pan these days. However, I think that there's interest in changing how long players have to spend in Pan, up to and including a finite Pan (which I'm not entirely in favor of, but again, separate discussion). As Pan operates right now, a tactical effect would be better, like one of the ones I suggested in the OP -- monsters that block all god powers while in LOS, for example.

Additionally, piety penalty doesn't have to be something you carry out of Pan. Pan was already described once or twice as a realm "beyond the reach of the gods." If piety diminished while players were in Pan, it could be restored to prior levels upon exit. And so on. There are a lot of possibilities.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 05:46

roctavian wrote: As Pan operates right now, a tactical effect would be better, like one of the ones I suggested in the OP -- monsters that block all god powers while in LOS, for example.

I suggested this a while ago under the guise of "Moths of Nihilism"; there's a patch for it on mantis, but it was ultimately turned down for being too similar to Silent Spectres' gimmick.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th November 2013, 05:53

Lasty wrote: there's a certain amount of Lovecraftian chaotic nihilism floating around there.

FTFY
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Lasty

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 21st November 2013, 11:48

I don't really care if this would be applied in pan, abyss or whatever, mostly since I don't have much experience with the extended game, especially NOT with Pan.

Why not reverse the mechanics of the Amulet of Faith? - Please forgive me if I make some mistake witth the mechanics.

God-Forsaken places:

Upon entering, piety takes a 1/3 hit - worn Amulet of Faith prevents this.
Piety gain is 33% slower.
God gifts are 33% more infrequent
Piety is considered to be 33% lower for divine protection purposes.
Xom piety walk is 33% slower (whatever that is, I don't worship Xom frequently and when I do I make no effort to understand it)
Xom is less likely to act.
If under penance, god wrath is 1/3 less likely.
Exiting the god-forsaken place restores 1/3 of current piety, but never beyond the amount of piety you had before entering.

Wearing an Amulet of Faith prevents all those effects, but doesn't give the player any additional benefits: merely brings piety mechanics back to baseline efficiency.

Removing an Amulet of Faith while in a God-Forsaken Place takes away 2/3 of your piety, rather than 1/3, as it is tantamount to intentionally shunning your god.

Additionally, a given God-Forsaken Place could make an exception for one or several given gods, or be beyond the reach of one or several specific gods (Beyond the reach of evil gods/good gods/life gods/war gods/death gods/etc) This need not be strictly a pan/abyss feature, it could be attached to portal vaults, single levels, anything with clear entry and exit points.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Return to Game Design Discussion