New Level 5 Spell: Telekinetic Thrust

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Wizlab Walloper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 14:45

New Level 5 Spell: Telekinetic Thrust

Telekinetic Grasp
Level 5 Conjuration, Hex
Replaces Force Lance

This spell targets HD rather than magic resistance. Affected creatures take minor physical damage and are moved 1-3 squares in a direction of the caster's choice. If they collide with another creature or wall because of this, the target stops and both take more damage. If no direction is selected (by selecting the square upon which the target already stands) the creature is crushed into the ground or squished upon themselves, and takes a larger amount of physical damage. Flying enemies suffer a penalty when resisting this spell.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 15:53

Re: New Level 5 Spell: Telekinetic Thrust

So, Force Lance but with more interface hassles?

Wizlab Walloper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 16:13

Having control over the direction of movement is nice, and gives a lot of extra uses besides damage and knockback. Melee fighters could use it to get enemies into melee. You could throw enemies into clouds or water. A caster could even use it on themselves, suffer some minor damage, and move several spaces in one turn. It's just Force Lance with more utility and creativity-- something that Crawl values.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 17:21

Azrael wrote:A caster could even use it on themselves, suffer some minor damage, and move several spaces in one turn.

Yessss, Crawl needs Team Fortress-style rocket-jumping. So say we all.

Seriously though, I think expanding Force Lance's utility a bit into a weird non-Translocations mini-blink is the most interesting of the spell's you've posted today.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Wizlab Walloper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 17:26

Well, that's something at least.

Besides, tired of an annoying centaur warrior? Lich ruining your day? Throw an orc in front of them!

This would be fun.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 17:39

Azrael wrote:Well, that's something at least.

Besides, tired of an annoying centaur warrior? Lich ruining your day? Throw an orc in front of them!

This would be fun.

Hmm, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a spell that would move an enemy a few tiles of your choosing AND causes that enemy to be completely ignored by other enemies for one turn (the victim is pulled into place so suddenly that its allies don't have time to react appropriately). Turning foes into human(oid) shields could be useful.
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 17:48

MoogleDan wrote:
Azrael wrote:Well, that's something at least.

This would be fun.

Hmm, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a spell that would move an enemy a few tiles of your choosing AND causes that enemy to be completely ignored by other enemies for one turn (the victim is pulled into place so suddenly that its allies don't have time to react appropriately). Turning foes into human(oid) shields could be useful.

Well, paralysis or enscrolled hibernation are good if your in a hallway. Blast the guy in the front, and the others cant get to you. This would basically just be that, except you don't have to get them in the right position.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 17:52

Early implementations of jump attack required targeting twice for each usage (once for target, once for landing location or possibly the other way round, I forget) and this was pretty problematic. Certainly it gives more control and lets you make more decisions, but this isn't always an unambiguously good thing when the interface for it is so poor. This seems like it would be even worse than jump attack, since as a conjuration it could be cast more often, and it doesn't even consistently require targeting twice.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:54

Not sure about this spell, but I do think that a "tractor beam" spell would be pretty cool: Damage enemy and if they fail an HD (not MR) check, they get yanked toward you.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 21:17

and into wrote:Not sure about this spell, but I do think that a "tractor beam" spell would be pretty cool: Damage enemy and if they fail an HD (not MR) check, they get yanked toward you.

Apportation that works on enemies? Less of an interface hassle than OP's suggestion, but still useful. Hmm. Probably should be TLoc though.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 05:43

Counter-proposal: Zero-pressure area: lvl 5 (or 6) tloc/air.

The spell removes all air in a square (not occupied, smite targeted) and all creatures within certain range (8 is ok i believe) are pulled towards that square.
Might be helpful for better aoe spells targeting and blocking nasty rangers' lof.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 06:36

I have been thinking about something similar that would be used as a divine effect of a Gravity god, but I suspect it is able to be simulated via Chei divine effects.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 06:49

There's also this suggestion:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9194&hilit=singularity

which is similar
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 15:29

I kind of like the idea of a semicontrolled blink that damages you, so using it is a tradeoff and not a no-brainer.

I don't really like this spell though, so lets just make semicontrolled blink hurt you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 18:31

Why only semi-controlled blink? All blink sources could damage you, the further you blink away the more damage you get. The same could apply to haste/invisibility, glow is not as bad as taking unavoidable damage. I mean if Haste damaged you over time, it would not be a no-brainer to cast before every dangerous fight.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 05:32

Unavoidable damage is tactical and glow is strategic issue. Which means glow is worse than taking unavoidable damage.

Return to Game Design Discussion