Species Proposal: Nymph

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 05:20

Species Proposal: Nymph

Nymphs are the faerie spirits of water. Their beauty is unopposed by any living creature, and their skills in water magic are to be feared. Nymphs are delicate creatures, in the same way as spriggans, although they are able to wear most armour. Nymphs can gain bonuses from being in water. They can submerge in deep water, and regenerate quicker while doing so.

This was my species idea. I had read somewhere (on the Fjoad post) that there was a bit of a void in the water magic section, and I thought I might throw in an idea (not saying I don't like the idea of Fjoads). Just be aware that I'm not a very experienced player, so my balancing idea's might need a bit of tweaking...

-2 fighting, -1 in all weapons, 0 armour, 2+ dodging, 3+ stealth, 0 shields, -1 unarmed combat, 2+ spellcasting and conjurations, 1 hexes and charms, 0 summoning, -2 necromancy, 2+ translocations, 1+ transmutations, -3 fire magic, 3+ ice magic, 1 air magic, 0 earth magic and poison magic, 0 invocations, 2+ evocations.

Well, what do you think? Any chance of it being added to Trunk?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 05:27

Re: Species Proposal: Nymph

its just another guy species. its just like a human but with diff. aps. you could just rename humans hot babes and tweek aps and have this proposal, because hot babes like beaches and water, and gain can gain bonuses in water too
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 08:35

moreover, those would be really close to the merfolks. After all, the female merfolks are mermaids...

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 09:29

Doesn't really seem to bring anything new to the table honestly.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 11:08

*insert more negative feedback here*
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 16:29

*Attempts to passively put you down, but end up making you feel bad anyways*

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 17:18

*actually thinks a Nymph species would be nice, says it wouldn't because everybody's doing it*
EDIT: if you did'nt notice my stupid mistake, I'm not telling.
Last edited by Hirsch I on Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Klown

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 21:10

Wise-Donkey wrote:Nymphs are the faerie spirits of water. Their beauty is unopposed by any living creature, and their skills in water magic are to be feared. Nymphs are delicate creatures, in the same way as spriggans, although they are able to wear most armour. Nymphs can gain bonuses from being in water. They can submerge in deep water, and regenerate quicker while doing so.

This was my species idea. I had read somewhere (on the Fjoad post) that there was a bit of a void in the water magic section, and I thought I might throw in an idea (not saying I don't like the idea of Fjoads). Just be aware that I'm not a very experienced player, so my balancing idea's might need a bit of tweaking...

-2 fighting, -1 in all weapons, 0 armour, 2+ dodging, 3+ stealth, 0 shields, -1 unarmed combat, 2+ spellcasting and conjurations, 1 hexes and charms, 0 summoning, -2 necromancy, 2+ translocations, 1+ transmutations, -3 fire magic, 3+ ice magic, 1 air magic, 0 earth magic and poison magic, 0 invocations, 2+ evocations.

Well, what do you think? Any chance of it being added to Trunk?

So - since no one else seems to want to give you real feedback:

I like the idea, but it looks very very similar to merfolk if a little bit more spell based.. Both are water themed, both get a bonus when in water, both are dodging based. Apts are *slightly* different (bad at unarmed combat) but very close to MF. so; unlike to be merged for that reason. The other thing to keep in mind is that having races with different aptitudes is "boring" now, apparently - every new race needs to have a new mechanic that radically changes the game. I don't know if I agree that this is a good idea, but it's certainly the design philosophy of crawl, these days. This doesn't have that (the submerge thing is, as mentioned, already covered).

I bet you could come up with some sort of differentiating factor though!

For this message the author indspenceable has received thanks:
XuaXua

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 22:04

indspenceable wrote: The other thing to keep in mind is that having races with different aptitudes is "boring" now, apparently - every new race needs to have a new mechanic that radically changes the game. I don't know if I agree that this is a good idea, but it's certainly the design philosophy of crawl, these days.
The fact is, there are already many species with different apts and no special thing (12 without counting Troll), and you can pretty much play anything as far as apts are concerned.
so yeah, new species need some sort of differentiating factor ;)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 14:08

Cannot fly, and regardless of actual terrain, its current tile is always treated as deep water while its last tile is always shallow. Can never enter lava tiles. No compromise! They are the uber-merfolk!
"Making sure all that misinformation is grammatically correct since August 2011."

If you have any recommendations* regarding the Crawl Wiki, message me and I'll look into it.

* - Deletion of the Crawl Wiki is not a good recommendation.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 16:29

A species that leaves 10 water tiles over their path of travel would be cool, but also really OP with polearms. It would make for cool positioning tactics though.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 17th November 2013, 15:35

MoogleDan wrote:Cannot fly, and regardless of actual terrain, its current tile is always treated as deep water while its last tile is always shallow. Can never enter lava tiles. No compromise! They are the uber-merfolk!

I kinda like this. It would give them a strong early game advantage without being too fiddly to use tactically (step two paces into corridor, fight).

Playing upon their nature as water spirits, they could also be able to detect all water on the current level and controlled teleport to water at the cost of a permanent mp (borrowing from the water nymph ability in the Forest).

Return to Game Design Discussion