Level 7 spell proposal: Infernal resurrection

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 22:00

Level 7 spell proposal: Infernal resurrection

After the implementation of the new scroll of immolation, and the recent talk of inner flame, I came up with an interesting little spell that I figured I just HAVE to share.

I call it "infernal resurrection"(other ideas for names?):

-name: Infernal Resurrection
-alternative names: Corpse Explosion
-type: level 7 necromancy/fire magic spell
-effect: resurrects one corpse in line of site(smite targeted) into a zombie with inner flame tacked onto them.
-other effects: Can also be used on living targets that turn into zombies with inner flame upon death.
-damage: increases explosion damage with spell power, dealing maybe 4d20 for most monsters at max.(maybe this is a little overkill though...)
-limitations: the corpse must inhabit an empty square(no monsters standing on it), the secondary effect will only work if the creature can leave behind a corpse(so this won't work on demons).

-reasoning: I feel as though necromancers should get a bit more "fire power"(no pun intended) for the late game. I mean, necromancy is already quite a powerful magic school, but doesn't have nearly as much use in extended(as far as offense goes) as I feel it should. This would not only be a cool spell, but it would also give an "offensive" twist to a defensive school of magic.

As always, feel free to morph around the idea a bit to make it more interesting/simple/balanced, and contrast runtime criticism is always welcome. :D
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 22:23

Re: Level 7 spell proposal: Infernal resurrection

There is basically no synergy at all between necro and fire magic I can see and getting this would mean not getting simulacra (which are amazingly strong) which would be a bad idea.
And also you can replicate it by just innerflaming corpses if you really want to.
Being honest for a level 7 dual school spell this would be hugely weak and I don't see why you'd use it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 22:55

It's not powerful enough to be a level 7 spell. Maybe change it into a spell that resurrect a corpse into a "hot zombie" (the same zombie type (human, dragon, etc) but with berserk status (!), and the zombie explodes after the berserk ends (!!)). :P

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 22:56

Reading the title, I thought it would animate every corpse in los.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 23:09

pratamawirya wrote:It's not powerful enough to be a level 7 spell. Maybe change it into a spell that resurrect a corpse into a "hot zombie" (the same zombie type (human, dragon, etc) but with berserk status (!), and the zombie explodes after the berserk ends (!!)). :P

Hmm, ok then, how about instead, it turns all corpses in LOS into "flaming zombies/skeletons" and their melee attacks have a chance of sticky-flame, as well as having innate sticky-flame active at all times. Is this any better? :)

Maybe we could also make it deal a certain amount of physical damage as well?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 23:11

What if it made a bonfire of a pile of corpses, which created a new kind of ally that can't move, but fires flaming projectiles at your enemies? The bigger the pile, the more HD the monster has. The higher the HD, the more powerful the projectiles. Each shot cuts the HD in half, and it burns out when the HD gets down below some threshold. Casting it also causes adjacent bonfires to merge.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 23:27

jejorda2 wrote:What if it made a bonfire of a pile of corpses, which created a new kind of ally that can't move, but fires flaming projectiles at your enemies? The bigger the pile, the more HD the monster has. The higher the HD, the more powerful the projectiles. Each shot cuts the HD in half, and it burns out when the HD gets down below some threshold. Casting it also causes adjacent bonfires to merge.

That sounds kinda like the old twisted resurrection, but I guess it's a cool idea.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 4th November 2013, 11:00

A spell that turns all corpses in LOS into flaming corpses with inner flame and accompanied by flame clouds. Also, flaming corpse is now a derived undead.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 4th November 2013, 12:40

1010011010 wrote:A spell that turns all corpses in LOS into flaming corpses with inner flame and accompanied by flame clouds. Also, flaming corpse is now a derived undead.

I like this idea, actually. Flaming corpses never really stood out to me as anything special, it would be cool to give them some better flavor.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 4th November 2013, 14:52

I like the idea of a berserk/inner flamed necromantic minion spell, but I definitely do not like any proposals for a spell to create stationary monsters or to create monsters whose power depends on the number of corpses in a pile. Both encourage tedious corpse-hauling.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th November 2013, 14:55

Inner Flame is awful as monster spell, it takes away option of killing monsters in melee (very bad for stabbers and EV-based fighters).
I am sure you know that Deep Dwarf floors in zigs were removed.

Return to Game Design Discussion