Why aren't weapons described consistently?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 2nd November 2013, 15:32

Why aren't weapons described consistently?

Hand weapons are given basic information in order to differentiate each other.
Ranged weapons are not, especially thrown weapons.
When is it better to throw a tomahawk over a javelien?
A (regularly-sized) stone over a dart?
A steel dart over a regular tomahawk?
Shoot a crossbow vs. a bow?

Are silvered weapons more advantageous or is that just a very specific (chaotic; no undead since 0.8, right?) situational case (considering anti-orc branding has been removed...)?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 2nd November 2013, 16:45

Re: Why aren't weapons described consistently?

My guess is the base damage isn't comparable between melee and thrown weapons, so showing it my be misleading. It's probably better to show it anyway though. We already do for launchers after all.
For silver, I think the description is explicit enough. It might be situational, but some of the monsters it works against are the most threatening in the game.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd November 2013, 02:09

Re: Why aren't weapons described consistently?

galehar wrote:My guess is the base damage isn't comparable between melee and thrown weapons, so showing it my be misleading. It's probably better to show it anyway though. We already do for launchers after all.
For silver, I think the description is explicit enough. It might be situational, but some of the monsters it works against are the most threatening in the game.

It's nice to take out OoF and Killer Klowns in 3-4 turns with silver ammo.

Return to Game Design Discussion