Proposal: Better behavior after "It hits you".

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 21:59

Proposal: Better behavior after "It hits you".

Proposal: take the logic that automatically turns autopickup off and on, and have it set/clear a flag. Modify autoexplore (and similar functions) so that if this flag is set, they prompt you (Y/n) before actually running. If you pick Y, the flag gets cleared.

Rationale: It is an extremely nice ease of use feature of crawl that things like autoexplore or automove don't run in the presence of monsters. This lets you do some number of mindless out-of-combat things mindlessly, rather than having to be constantly hyper-aware of your surroundings to tell if a monster has entered your LOS.

(in fact, sometimes I use autoexplore rather than manual movement, even when I'd prefer the latter, precisely to take advantage of this feature)

The fact that, except for autopickup toggling, this doesn't work with invisible monsters is a design oversight. The current situation of having autoexplore stop when you are hit by an invisible monster does cover many of the problematic situations. However, it fails to account for the situation where one is encountering frequent interruptions (e.g. dungeon features and items coming into view), and is inclined to continue auto-exploring, rather than having to pause and pay careful attention to the discovery every single time it happens. Another situation that is missed is when an orc wizard turns invisible just as you nuke it, giving the illusion it has been killed, at which point a person would generally start autoexploring again.

If the above feature cannot be implemented, I suggest the following:

Simpler hack: change the default config file to force a more message when an invisible monster is detected, e.g. by an "It hits you" message.

Yes, I know I could do it myself. I can (and will) probably even figure out how -- although it will probably take a few annoying iterations before I cover all the possible text messages. My point is that I think this should probably be the default, rather than something somebody has to put up with until they get the idea that it might be possible to customize the game to deal with it, and the motivation to figure out just how to do that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 22:14

Re: Proposal: Better behavior after "It hits you".

force_more_message += ^It hits you
force_more_message += ^It.*misses you

Yes, I agree, default settings are almost unplayable, no one is going to take a break after every action to carefully read every new message in log.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 22:35

Sandman25 wrote:force_more_message += ^It hits you
force_more_message += ^It.*misses you

Yes, I agree, default settings are almost unplayable, no one is going to take a break after every action to carefully read every new message in log.

I think this misses "You block its attack." (what about if it casts a spell?). Of course, one of those are likely to be surrounded by those other messages.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 22:54

Yes, I could miss some messages.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 25th October 2013, 23:54

Adding a force_more for "It hits you" makes the game more unplayable.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 00:01

Wahaha wrote:Adding a force_more for "It hits you" makes the game more unplayable.

If you mean Prince Rabbit and Quasit, notice "^" in the beginning.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
dck, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 00:03

I think that is probably not what he meant.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Wahaha

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 04:46

I think it would be really good if the game behaves same way as it does for submerged monsters nearby: if there's an invisible monster hitting you/drain your mp, you get the message 'There's something unseen in the distance. Continue Moving? (Y/N)'. It's gonna be tedious fighting orc mages, but at least players will know better if there's an invisible monster that they haven't noticed.

For this message the author nordetsa has received thanks:
XuaXua

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 12:39

shit accidental thanks
force_mores for something like that would be pretty horrible to deal with

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 13:55

nordetsa wrote:I think it would be really good if the game behaves same way as it does for submerged monsters nearby: if there's an invisible monster hitting you/drain your mp, you get the message 'There's something unseen in the distance. Continue Moving? (Y/N)'. It's gonna be tedious fighting orc mages, but at least players will know better if there's an invisible monster that they haven't noticed.

Normally you're not automoving or autoexploring when fighting orc mages -- making it take an active confirmation to do so is exactly what I'm looking for!

But I suppose you mean normal movement (I don't think submerged monsters interfere with normal movement). It would be annoying to take extra effort to move when you are aware of the problem, but it's also annoying to moving when you're not aware of it. My proposal does not consider normal movement.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 15:17

dck wrote:shit accidental thanks
force_mores for something like that would be pretty horrible to deal with

Yes, I was surprised too ;)
I have been using it for a long time and it actually saves time (for me) and prevents stupid deaths (for everyone).

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th October 2013, 15:46

Force more is how I've been handling it for some time. The carat fixes my RibbIT/quasIT problem.

I think having allies who can't sense invisible (use case for CANINE COMPANION) react properly as well would also be an improvement.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion