Kudos for new Olgreb's Toxic Radiance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 19:32

Kudos for new Olgreb's Toxic Radiance

I'm really happy to see that Olgreb's Toxic Radiance has been reworked. I got a Book of Envenomations AND Young Poisoner's Handbook on my current HOWz, and so decided to try investing in Poison magic for killing power beyond my starting book. (I stopped at a skill of 7, which doesn't feel like too much exp lost for the post-poison endgame.)

The old OTR did a single application of poison to all in LOS. The new OTR does several applications over multiple turns (while the player has the "TOXIC" status) and can hit Invisibles. When there are 5+ enemies around, I'll cast OTR, manage things near me for a couple turns[*], cast OTR again, and then Cure Poison on myself when it fades. Poison Weapon helps me extend / deepen the debuff on beefy enemies. It plays very differently from AOE via clouds (which exist out of LOS but in a much more limited area). Good job devs!

[*] Would it be more efficient to cast OTR twice in a row? I don't know if status-extension gets you fewer turns of a status, on average, compared to recasting after expiry.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 19:44

Re: Kudos for new Olgreb's Toxic Radiance

I have just analyzed source code and it looks like there is no difference. Cast the spell whenever you have a chance to.

Code:
        if (!you.duration[DUR_TOXIC_RADIANCE])
            mpr("You begin to radiate toxic energy.");
        else
            mpr("Your toxic radiance grows in intensity.");

you.increase_duration(DUR_TOXIC_RADIANCE, 3 + random2(pow/20), 15);

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 19:58

Thanks Sandman25!

Followup: what is "15", in "you.increase_duration(DUR_TOXIC_RADIANCE, 3 + random2(pow/20), 15)"? I'm guessing that's a maximum duration?
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 20:01

Correct.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 20:05

Oops. Yes, that 15 is cap so my previous suggestion was wrong. There is no point to recast the spell beyond some point.

Also I found this:

Code:
int dam = roll_dice(1, 3 + pow / 25) * mult
                      * 3 / (2 + ai->pos().distance_from(agent->pos()));

It is recalculated every turn while monster is under toxic effect and it looks like monsters take different damage depending on distance to player so it is a good idea to move closer to poisoned monsters.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
mattlistener

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 20:31

Sandman25 wrote:It is recalculated every turn while monster is under toxic effect and it looks like monsters take different damage depending on distance to player so it is a good idea to move closer to poisoned monsters.

Neat, thanks. Another substantial gameplay difference from cloud spells. :-)
In Progress:

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 22:29

can we please not make Cure Poison mandatory for casting other spells

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks:
graffen69

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 02:04

In my use case it's not mandatory -- two castings of OTR isn't enough to threaten my life, though it does make Cure Poison convenient enough that it's worth two spell slots, for now.

I certainly think it's thematic for a poison mage to be dabbling in magic that causes poison to himself -- and optionally have a way to remove it as well.
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 04:49

mattlistener wrote:I certainly think it's thematic for a poison mage to be dabbling in magic that causes poison to himself -- and optionally have a way to remove it as well.

What I think he's inferring is that it's been batted around as an idea to get rid of Cure Poison as a spell.

IMHO, if that is the case, it would be more fun (and convoluted!) reworked as an offensive spell; Distribute poison: target something with poison, cause them a small amount of harm to extract the poison, target something else, and hit it with a poison blast made from the original target's poisoning. Cure the original by poisoning someone else.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 12:53

XuaXua wrote:
mattlistener wrote:I certainly think it's thematic for a poison mage to be dabbling in magic that causes poison to himself -- and optionally have a way to remove it as well.

What I think he's inferring is that it's been batted around as an idea to get rid of Cure Poison as a spell.

IMHO, if that is the case, it would be more fun (and convoluted!) reworked as an offensive spell; Distribute poison: target something with poison, cause them a small amount of harm to extract the poison, target something else, and hit it with a poison blast made from the original target's poisoning. Cure the original by poisoning someone else.

Oo, that would be cool! I'd say it'd be equally worthy always using the caster as the source, for simplicity's sake. And allow people to eat poison chunks as a way to give themselves poisoned status (and some nutrition) if they want.

And call it something less workaday, like "Grievous Cure". :-)
In Progress:

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 18:01

mattlistener wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

Oo, that would be cool! I'd say it'd be equally worthy always using the caster as the source, for simplicity's sake. And allow people to eat poison chunks as a way to give themselves poisoned status (and some nutrition) if they want.

And call it something less workaday, like "Grievous Cure". :-)

So question - I wasn't around these parts when Ignite poison got removed. What was the motivation there? While this isn't the same it feels like it has similar elements.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 18:22

Ignite poison wasn't removed.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
XuaXua

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 16th October 2013, 20:18

BlackSheep wrote:Ignite poison wasn't removed.

Herp derp. What I meant was the part where it burned the poison in your system.

Return to Game Design Discussion