Undead should get different message on wielding pain weapons

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 03:56

Undead should get different message on wielding pain weapons

It seems strange to me that Mu/Gh/bloodless Vp can feel "pain shuddering through your arm" on wielding a pain branded weapon. Flavor-wise, I didn't think undead could feel pain. Mechanic-wise, torment immunity is specifically described as immunity to unholy pain. I think a message along the lines of feeling "unholy energy", like when you resist torment, would be more appropriate, though I'm having a hard time coming up with specific suggestions that don't sound a lot like existing messages. Any thoughts?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 04:46

Re: Undead should get different message on wielding pain wea

Skrybe wrote:It seems strange to me that Mu/Gh/bloodless Vp can feel "pain shuddering through your arm" on wielding a pain branded weapon. Flavor-wise, I didn't think undead could feel pain. Mechanic-wise, torment immunity is specifically described as immunity to unholy pain. I think a message along the lines of feeling "unholy energy", like when you resist torment, would be more appropriate, though I'm having a hard time coming up with specific suggestions that don't sound a lot like existing messages. Any thoughts?

They still get "Ouch! That really hurt!" messages, don't they? Presumably they can still feel pain, it's just that necromantic sources of pain don't work on them for whatever reason. Perhaps undead nervous systems work on different principles than living ones. Or perhaps they're more simply detached from the pain, so the sensation just registers as like seeing a really vivid shade of red instead of causing crippling mental anguish.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 12:12

Maybe something like "You feel the pain shoot through you exhilaratingly!" or "Pain flares though you like a burst of demon fire!". Ive got more if anyone likes those.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 1st October 2013, 20:41

Undead enjoying necromantic energy would actually make a lot of sense, though that would likely require changing other messages besides those associated with pain weapons, e.g. resisting torment.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 2nd October 2013, 02:06

/nod

*Torment washes over you like the breath of all embracing death*

*You revel in the power of torment*

*Torment caresses you with shadowy tendrils*

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd October 2013, 14:22

"You feel a slight tickle."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd October 2013, 15:29

"You feel a slight tickle... in the spot where your soul might have once resided"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 4th October 2013, 19:47

We already do this for vampiric weapons. As usual, I'm not interested in bikeshedding but if someone puts a patch on Mantis, I'll apply it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th October 2013, 19:48

The issue is further complicated by the fact that you get different messages depending on your Necromancy skill.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th October 2013, 23:04

Siegurt wrote:"You feel a slight tickle... in the spot where your soul might have once resided"

I for some odd reason think this is hilarious and needs to be added to the game. +1
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Siegurt

Return to Game Design Discussion