Three cheers for tomahawks

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 13:00

Three cheers for tomahawks

I have to say, the new tomahawk missile in Trunk is splendid. It's alleviating the usual spear, spear, spear, spear, spear, spear, spear inventory spam syndrome my Throwing-centric characters run into in the early dungeon, while still preserving javelins/rocks as the hard-hitting, but heavy, ammo type.

The only downside so far is that darts feel marginalized. I can't see any use for them outside of d:1-2 before you find a few tomahawks. If it's considered desirable for them to be anything other than something annoying that kobolds throw at you, perhaps some interesting dart-only brands might be nice (elec, or reaping maybe? or improve exploding dart damage?), or darts could have a faster speed than usual?

You'd have to make sure kobolds couldn't generate with some of those brands.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 13:03

Re: Three cheers for tomahawks

Give darts stabbing; the ability to do a critical hit.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 15:22

I'm imagining carefully lining up and throwing a dart at a sleeping monster's eye.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 16:20

johlstei wrote:I'm imagining carefully lining up and throwing a dart at a sleeping monster's eye.

As a play on that, darts could have a chance, (scaling with throwing skill to prevent kobolds from being too deadly), of inflicting blindness.

Code:
You throw a dart.  The dart hits the orc wizard in the eye!  The orc wizard is blinded!

It would give the stabbing playstyle a source of single-target "invisibility" and still be generally useful for anyone else using throwing. Since it requires throwing skill, it might make pure physical stabbers a little more fun vs. the hybrid invisi-stabbing game, which is a lot of bursts of mass killing followed by hitting '5' to wait off contamination.

minmay wrote:I really don't see the point of adding tomahawks. What's wrong with javelins? This is like keeping spiked flails and also adding spiked maces.

I think the idea is that, unless you start as a Hunter, using throwing in the early game often involves picking up 10 inventory slots worth of spears and tediously picking through them until you find some javelins (IME that's often quite late in the dungeon). Stackable spear replacements, basically.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 16:39

Did throwing clubs and daggers really do more damage than stones and darts with no throwing or was it all in my head all along? Because regardless I used to do it in early D with no-ranged backgrounds and always found it a decent boost to survival, a boost which is gone now because you don't have guaranteed ranged options anymore, unless you run into dart or stones stacks.
I have however been throwing darts at things as a Wr and they do more damage than I remembered so maybe not that much is lost by not being able to throw daggers and clubs. It was immensely annoying to pick them up when you started a game, truth to be said.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 17:35

It's hard to estimate damage without accurate numbers. Bats can have 5 HP, Orcs can have 4HP, Orc Wizards can have 9 HP etc

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 27th September 2013, 17:42

That was actually more of a complaint about how a relatively poor but sometimes useful guaranteed option to do damage from range in early D is now gone to basically solve an interface issue.
Yeah it's good that the interface issue is gone but I don't think this is the best course of action.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Sandman25

Wizlab Walloper

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 00:33

[quote="minstrel"]
  Code:
You throw a javelin.  The javelin hits the orc wizard in the eye!  The orc wizard dies!

How about that instead? (just messing with you here)

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 01:53

The dart in the eye stuff is hilarious & makes sense as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th September 2013, 04:02

I had not checked, but were damage estimates added to thrown weapon descriptions in a manner similar to the descriptions for non-thrown weapons?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion